Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 richhere

richhere

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

basic user, need to replace my dvd burner, no longer reading the cd, what is the first step, I just unplugged it to take to store to find replacement, now want to re-install to continue work until replacement arrives 1 week, I re-plugged it in and the computer does not read it? Shoould i have run unplug hardware wizard before initial unplug??? what to do to get back to where i started???? Any help???

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
(Moderator edit: added descriptive topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 21 August 2006 - 01:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

First, make sure it is connected properly and the cables are connected tightly, especially the ribbon IDE cable at the motherboard.
If it is the only optical device it must be connected to the end of the ribbon cable, not in the middle.

Go to your device manager and see if the device is listed there with a yellow or red warning icon.

If it is, delete it, reboot, and let Windows find and reinstall it.

If there is no warning icon but it shows in the device manager, update the driver.

If it is not there, exit out of the device manager and force the install using the add hardware wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users