Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Floppy will not refresh after disk is changed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

I have an old program that runs off of an encrypted floppy disk.  No way to replace it.  No modern equivalent.

Has anyone figured out how to force Windows 10 to refresh a USB floppy disk, without having to unmount and re-mount the drive?

Cheers!

Naught McNoone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

From my understanding Windows 10 was not going to support USB floppy disk drives unless a driver is installed from Windows Update. Did you install the driver?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-floppy-disk-windows-10

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

The drive was working fine, up until one of the updates from MS.

Simply swapping the disks in the drive worked fine, if you pressed the F5 key, in an explorer window.

After that update, the only way to refresh the drive after changing disks was to un-mount the drive and then remount it.

Doing so, crashes the program.  No way around it.  It is the nature of the beast.

I fired up an older Win 10 machine, same make and model, and it worked fine.  No problem refreshing the floppy.

(It had not been plugged into the network for a couple of months.)

If I knew which update it was, I would try uninstalling it,  (Can I do that with Win10?) and see if that solves the problem.

I am looking for an alternative to the program, but so far, no luck.

Cheers!

Naught.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

You can't uninstall updates. If it was a driver update you can prevent Windows 10 from installing drivers but you would need to do a clean install and set the OS to not update drivers but this may not be the issue at all. It could be the major update and not the driver.

Is it possible to clone the floppy disk to an image and then use a virtual floppy drive with the image as shown in the link I posted?

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

John,

We've tried running it in a VM before, with no luck.  

It is a utility for writing and installing routines on a programmable controller.  

My next door neighbour uses it.  He is currently trying to reprogram his down-rigger for his fishing boat.  ;)

The software is proprietary to the controller chips and the programmer.  It will only work off of the floppy disk, with the supplied programmer.  We can get the programmer to work with an lpt to USB adapter.

I have been able to create an image that will write to another floppy, and still work, but no success getting it to work with a USB stick.

We have managed to get it to work with a floppy in Win7, and it did work in Win10 for about 2 months.

Looks like we are going to have to set up an old system to run it.  It will be a faster solution than wasting any more time on it.

As it doesn't need the internet, it can be anything that will run MS-DOS 3.3 or later, and has a parallel port.  I have an old 8086/7 that still works!  :)

Thank you for the assistance and input.

Cheers!

Naught.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

No problem. +1 on using an older dedicated computer, especially when trying to deal with Windows 10. Every major update of Windows 10 could lead to some other problem with the floppy drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users