Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

an update dropped this morning when I turned on my laptop.  There was a screen that said something like "updating Windows.  This will take a while."  It restarted once or twice and now it is stuck on a black screen with the little dots going round in a circle like it's doing something.  This entire process began just after 8 AM and now it is over 3 hours later.  Should I manually restart the computer?  Or wait it out longer?

Thanks

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

If you've got the luxury of waiting I'd wait just to see if "the dam breaks" on its own.

The fact that you're at black screen suggests that the machine is trying to boot and it may have "burped" during the process.  If it hasn't cleared within another hour of black screen "swirling circles" I would try doing a power button shutdown and restarting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

Had to manually restart and it's doing the same thing.  Black screen with swirly dots at the bottom.  If I go into the Acer recovery module and try a recovery will it reinstall W7 (which came loaded on the laptop) or will it reinstall W10?  If the former do you know if I will be able to upgrade to 10 for free again?

EDIT 1: I restarted it again and now it went to a black screen with swirly dots and it says Restoring your previous version of Windows.  So hopefully it will finish this at some point.

EDIT 2: it restarted again and went to "scanning and recovering hard drive" with a percentage complete

EDIT 3: finished that.  restarted again.  went to a red screen with the swirly dots.  then was able to log into machine.  But it took forever to allow me in. 

I think I'll make a new image or clone of this drive and keep it as a backup. My current image is 2 yrs old.

Is there any way to tell what happened.  Was it the update?  Was it a hard drive issue? 

Edited by Dacar92, 27 September 2016 - 02:37 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Dacar92,

Trying to divine what has happened is beyond me, particularly at distance.

Am I safe in presuming that you have been rolled back to Windows 7?

In any case, you could try reinstalling Windows 10 and I'd download the ISO and create a bootable DVD from it to do that reinstallation.   Depending on how far you got your hardware may already be known to the Microsoft servers as licensed for Windows 10.  Given that you're updating at this late date I'm also presuming you have purchased a license key, since the free upgrade period ended at the end of July 2016.   If you have a purchased license key then that should be valid for reinstalling Windows 10 on the same machine again if the registration with Microsoft's servers for your hardware had not yet been done.  I just don't know when in the Windows 10 installation process that takes place, just that it does.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply.  I have had W10 for quite a time.  Maybe 9 months or so. This was a W10 update that it was installing this morning. But I do not know which one. 

I still have W10, it dd not revert.  I'll download the iso and use it as a backup for later.  But for now I am also going to do another clone on my spare HD. 

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users