Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandisk Micro SD May Be Corrupted: It Can't recognized new added data

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

About 3 years ago, I got a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB micro SDCX.  I was able to use it with no problem.  Then one day, I noticed something was wrong when I tried taking photos with my old Samsung GS4.  It would not add the new photos that I attempted to take.  Instead, I would get a generic white picture of a human with a lightening bolt on top of it.  I did not know what caused it.  The only thing I can think of is maybe when I took it out of my phone and put it in the sd card adapter to use for my digital camera, maybe it reformatted it.  I don't know if it is the chip itself because I don't see any chips or damage to it.  The only thing that I know about the micro sd card is that it will not recognize new data that is added to it, and it was not recognized adquately by my phone.  I can still extract the remaining data on it and it will read on my computer.  

I now have a GS 7 and would like to see if the chip is salvagable.  I don't know if my phone can format it and fix the problem, and I don't want to risk messing up the phone as a result of the card's unpredictability.  I have not put it in a phone for about at least a year due to it being unuseable.  My question is: Can I save this mirco SD chip or is it a lost cause?  If it can be resolved, will it be a simple or complex process? Thank you.

Miroku16

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Attach it to a computer via the card reader or use a USB adapter that can read micro SDCX cards. Download Partition Wizard and wipe the card then partition and reformat either FAT32 or NTFS. Use it as a extra storage device for your computer if you are worried about using it in phone or camera. If you use NTFS it will not be recognized by the phone or camera. The micro SDCX card usually comes with an adapter that can be used in a regular card reader or adapter.

According to this page the Sandisk 64GB cards had manufacturing problems and Sandisk will replace the card free of charge.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/272626-will-galaxy-s4-have-exfat-support.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 September 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

will it be safe to use on my phone if it is resolved?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

If you can format the drive as FAT32 using Partition Wizard after wiping the card and it's recognized by Windows I don't see how it could affect the phone. The phone would either read the card or not. In any case you may want to contact Sandisk if you cannot format the card. They may give you one in exchange for free if you ask them.

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Do I uses partition recovery after I wipe it?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Are you trying to recover data off the SD card? If you are then you do not want to wipe it. If you do not want data off the card then you can create a new partition after wiping the card. 

#7 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

I am not trying to recover data.  Just reformat it so it will work again.  How do you create a new partition once you have wiped it?  What specific window do I go to?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Make sure you are working on the correct disk in Partition Wizard.

Wipe Disk

Create Partition - Use Fat32 primary if you plan on using it in the camera.

Test the card on your PC first.

Edit: All steps are virtual in Partition Wizard until you click Apply. This lets you cancel out of the steps if you have done something wrong.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 September 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#9 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

So, what labels, partition size, or other specifics that I place on the card when I partition it? 

Edited by Miroku16, 27 September 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

You can use any volume label you want but I am not sure if your phone requires a specific volume label or volume letter if any.

The partition size would be the full size of the card since you are only going to have one partition on the card. 

#11 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

When selecting create new partition, it said the following:

The  new partition cannot be used in Windows. Because Windows could only recognize the first partition on a removable disk.

Do you want to continue?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

A removal disk will only allow one primary partition that can be recognized by Windows. How many partitions is on the removable disk. You should have none if you wiped the disk.

#13 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

There are two sections: An unallocated section (16MB) and an "other" (59.5GB).  Did I need to delete the "other" section?  I think I may have deleted one section of the card.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

If you do not need any partitions go to Partition in the menu bar and select Delete all Partitions. This will give you all unallocated space. Then create one partition on the card and format it FAT32.

Edit: Or you can put the card with the unallocated space in your phone and have your phone format it.

http://www.samsung.com/ae/support/skp/faq/1044067

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 September 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#15 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have a gs7.  Will the steps be different?  I can format it from my phone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users