Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-entering MAC addresses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SGT_Psychosis

SGT_Psychosis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

One or two things I already know:
1--I know that I need to add all the details and particulars regarding the hardware and software on my network, but I am typing this up as I get ready for work,
2--I know that using MAC addresses to lock down a network is not the end-all-beat-all answer to network security, but I am not trying to hide State secrets or my Swiss Bank Account information out of the hands of a cyber-terrorist team. It is just another step I am taking to keep random people from gaining access to our WIFI and such.

And now, "The QUESTION."

I have a modem that can also broadcast wireless, but it can only manage ONE wireless network.
I have a wireless router that can manage up to FOUR.

As expected, the wireless router is plugged into the modem (our home "Guest Network" is broadcast from this device) , the router is communicating on THREE other networks (each limited and restricted as to what communicates on that channel, i.e. one dedicated to security cameras, another for streaming video, and the last is just general wireless for a phones and tablets) and all is well in the world.

My INTENT--

I will be entering the MAC addresses of everything we have that is connected to the network. Again, so that the ONLY THREE DEVICES that can communicate on the "Security" network are the two cameras and a laptop dedicated to that purpose.

So, to simplify it (too late, I know)--I have a smartphone which gains internet access via a wireless router, which then in turn is connected to a modem. Do I need to add the MAC address to the MODEM or ROUTER. or to BOTH? And I ask because with the network we have, between all the friends and family that come over, I have about two dozen addresses I will be managing.

Thank you in advance, and any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

You enter the reserved ip address based on mac address only on the router the device is connecting to.

#3 SGT_Psychosis

SGT_Psychosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

Wand3r3r--thanks. I was really hoping that would be the case!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:42 PM

You enter the reserved ip address based on mac address only on the router the device is connecting to.

I agree, but would slight rephrase.

You only need to enter the MAC addresses only on the router or routers that you would like the device to be able to connect to. For most, this would only be one router. But, you might have a few devices that you want to be able to connect to the guest network in a pinch, especially since you are using two routers to do it. For example, you may want a device that you would normally use with the main WiFi network to also be able to connect to the guest network to either test the guest network or maybe make changed to the guest network settings (this second item might not be needed if you have a wired device connected to the guest network router).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users