Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logged On With Temporary Profile??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

This morning I powered on the computer and I received the message "Preparing Your Desktop" along with the infamous MS circle.

Then I received a notification in the system tray that read: "You have been logged on with a temporary profile". What???

The message continued, "Log off and try logging back on as Administrator".

I have not changed anything recently nor downloaded anything recently except MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit).

My OS is Windows 7x64 Sp-1 .

Never encountered anything of this sort. Prior to shutting down the computer last night I ran TFC and SUPERAntiSpyware as I normally do and nothing significant was noted.

Is this some sort of "glitch" or "anomaly"?

Any rational explanation anyone?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

Temporarary profiles are used by Windows whenever it detects something amiss with the original profile...usual cause is ordinary file corruption/damage.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile , try the procedure for workgroup computers.

Louis

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for your response hamluis. Will try link and report back.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

This error message is displayed when the user profile has been accidentally deleted from the system.  To resolve this do the following registry edit.

1. Log on with an administrator account.

2. Save the data of the missing user profile (if it is still available) and then delete it.
The data is located here: %SystemDrive%\Users\{username}

3. Open the Start Menu and type regedit in the Search programs and files box.  Regedit will appear above the search box in the results, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

4. When the registry opens follow the file path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

5. Delete the user profile ending with the .bak extension.

regedit_zpsaonhffg3.png

Close the registry and restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

@hamluis: Decided to wait to see if the problem arises again.

This error message is displayed when the user profile has been accidentally deleted from the system.  To resolve this do the following registry edit.

1. Log on with an administrator account.

2. Save the data of the missing user profile (if it is still available) and then delete it.
The data is located here: %SystemDrive%\Users\{username}

3. Open the Start Menu and type regedit in the Search programs and files box.  Regedit will appear above the search box in the results, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

4. When the registry opens follow the file path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

5. Delete the user profile ending with the .bak extension.

regedit_zpsaonhffg3.png

Close the registry and restart your computer.

@dc3: Didn't find any .bak ext.

Logged off and then back on and all seems normal as all user profile data is showing along with pictures, etc. .......possible Windows hiccup??

Thanks for responses and possible solutions but will wait and see if this occurs again.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'm glad that it was that easy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users