Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Vista to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ted45

ted45

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

Hi, I am aware that support for Vista will shortly end and I am considering upgrading to Win 7.

OS 32 bit

Processor AMD Semron SI-40 2.00 GHs

RAM 200GB

Toshiba Sat Pro 2009

Although my laptop is old, it is running perfectly well, so I thought that I might give it a try. I am not very techy and I was wondering if this might be a good place to start:

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-7/how-to-upgrade-your-computer-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7/

Unless you advise me otherwise.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

Decided that this is not a good idea.

#3 5thShock

5thShock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Why not?

#4 ted45

ted45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hmm! More pricey to do than I expected. I'll probably treat myself to a new laptop.

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Hi, I am aware that support for Vista will shortly end and I am considering upgrading to Win 7.

OS 32 bit

Processor AMD Semron SI-40 2.00 GHs

RAM 200GB

Toshiba Sat Pro 2009

Unless you advise me otherwise.

thanks.

Probably it is possible, but no upgrade, but installing Windows 7 Home Premium, this is highest, what may be possible.
But what the strange data You wrote?
1. Processor AMD Semron SI-40 2.00 GHs (? maybe GHz)
2. RAM 200GB  - maybe hard drive is 200GB ?
3. If You want to use W7 Home Premium x86 (ie 32-bit), then the minimum RAM is 1GB (recommended 2GB).
4. RAM is recommended at least 1GB DDR2 800, best 2GB DDR3 800 

#6 diverzeusy

diverzeusy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone, New subscriber here.

Can the upgrade to 7 be done free from microsoft? when upgrading does it just copy all your pics, docs etc over to the new system, any advice how to??

Thanks in advance.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

No, the upgrade is not free. The upgrade on the same drive would keep your data and programs although some may not work and there may be an issue with drivers, especially on older hardware. Since Vista's support ends in April of next year consider purchasing a new computer if it's in your budget. 

What are the specs of the computer?

If the computer has enough processing power and RAM installing a linux distro is also an option after backing up all your data to a external drive. Most Windows programs have a linux equivalent.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

Support for Vista ends soon, and eventually support for windows 7 will end, too.  Consider maybe upgrading to a new computer with already installed Windows 10?  Some prices found could be in a reasonable range for you.  The Toshiba Satellite brand seems good, but no more "Satellite" from Toshiba.

#9 diverzeusy

diverzeusy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

OK,

thanks for replies,

I think i will sort a new laptop in that case, as it all sounds rather complex and if 7 is ending soon, then not really much to gain.

My main thoughts for the change is because i keep getting 'the brit method' and other gambling/sex/invetment pages, poping up and opening new web tabs as they like, ive run a few scans but all come back clear. Is it because google chrome has 'abandoned updates for Vista? and this is allowing things into my laptop?

Thank you in advance.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

Decided that this is not a good idea.

Looking at the Specs I think this is a good idea!  Very weak processor, and that's where I stopped.

If you like, post the Model# or the specs with this tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Now, if you get a new computer this could be a good backup.  You could come over to the Linux Section and download and install a free linux OS.  It may be an easy install if you don't care about Vista anymore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 mikicejames485

mikicejames485

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

yes of course Vista upgrade to Windows 7 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

yes of course Vista upgrade to Windows 7 

Not necessarily, It's possible the hardware does not support Windows 7.

It's best to run the upgrade advisor to check if the computer can be upgraded to Windows 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Here is what I did. I have a Dell Inspiron 546 upgraded from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Pro which I have had for at least 5 years. A lot of problems developed with my computer,so, I decided to do a wipe. I bought a DBAN wipe disc for $7.50 free shipping, on line at a popular on line store. I have a Windows 7 Pro upgrade disc which I tried, as I have on several occasions over the years, to re install the Windows 7 Pro O/S.  I tried it about 3 times and it always stopped at the same place. I examined the disk with a mag glass and found a crack extending fro the center hole outward about 3/4" long which disabled the disk. I went back on line to that same store and saw a windows 7 installation disc which gave the option of installing several different Windows 7 options as long as I have a key code. i bought that disk for $5.55 free shipping and got it today, installed it and happy to say that my computer is great again. Total cost about $13.00 and now I have two disks insuring that I can install at my options anytime I want. So, pardon the pun, but the key code is key and if you don't have a key code, I suggest you go on line to auction sites and connect to someone selling a used Windows 7 disk and as long as you can get the key code with it and at a reasonable price, buy it, not for the disk but for the key code which you can use on that $5.55 disk to install you Windows 7. Good Luck

#14 diverzeusy

diverzeusy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Robert  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users