Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Petya ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Silverdrow

Silverdrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

Hello,

i've a client where get an infect last week, He told it was a Petya virus. After cleaning he realized on his server is an infect as well 

and get two different files where locked.

i load up an locked file, but was not detected 6881c9e24382a59b36ab5c54de929fcb1baecb66

Is there a new Petya vers. ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SamsonFromTheBible

SamsonFromTheBible

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Twitter is silent as of now. I think that there was some information about Petya last month.

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

I don't know of a new version of this ransomware from recently, but I believe the newest variant is not decryptable.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:16 AM

Petya Ransomware encrypts portions of the hard drive itself so victims are unable to access anything on the drive, including Windows. Mischa Ransomware was the newest variant of Petya that I am aware of...reported around May 2016. It will have the .cRh8 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named YOUR_FILES_ARE_ENCRYPTED.HTML, YOUR_FILES_ARE_ENCRYPTED.TXT.

Are there any obvious file extensions appended to or with your data files?

Did you find any ransom notes? These infections are created to alert victims that their data has been encrypted and demand a ransom payment. Check your documents folder for an image the malware typically uses for the background note. Check the C:\ProgramData (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) for a randomly named .html, .txt, .png, .bmp, .url file. Most ransomware will also drop a ransom note in every directory/affected folder where data was encrypted.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users