Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the difference between Linux and UNIX operating systems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dinkey007

dinkey007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:53 AM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:05 AM

Linux is a UNIX Clone. But if you consider Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) standards then Linux can be considered as UNIX. To quote from Official Linux kernel README file: Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net.

Difference Between Linux and UNIX - nixCraft

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:42 AM

Any particular reason why you want to know ?

The reply that Nick has given you probably covers most bases, but the answers people supply to you will vary dependant on your reason for asking.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

The reply that Nick has given you probably covers most bases, but the answers people supply to you will vary dependant on your reason for asking.

I agree with Gary. That one simple question covers an incredibly broad sweep of events and history..!

This explains a wee bit about Linux itself:-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/infographic-history-linux/

This might, hopefully, do the same for UNIX:-

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/UNIX.html

And this , I think, shows some of the major differences between the two.....

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Unix

Hope that helps.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 September 2016 - 04:13 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Yeah talking about Linux and unix is complicated to say the least.

its so complex that it makes the likes of Tolkien, George R. R. Martin and Shakespeare weep.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 September 2016 - 02:55 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 abhishek_ji

abhishek_ji

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:30 AM

Hiii,

I found an article, which describe all the difference between linux and unix.

Many a times we get confused with Unix and Linux also threat them as synonyms but that is not true. UNIX is copyrighted name only few of the companies are allowed it i.e. IBM AIX and Sun Solaris and HP-UX. This quote from Official Linux kernel README file confuses most:

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance.

In this article I am trying to describe the various differences between Unix and Linux under the following headings -

1. History
  2. Usage
  3. Cost
  4. GUI
  5. Security
  6. Future OS

History

UNIX was created in the 1960s by the AT&T Bell Labs (Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie) and first commercially UNIX OS became available in 1970. First release of Unix was having a command line interpreter and some small utility programs with future extension for the multitasking and UNIX evolved from there.

In 1991, Linus Torvalds began working on a UNIX like OS known as Minix. The Minix source code was freely available under GNU GPL and he successfully modified this code for use on x86 PC systems. By September 1991, Torvalds has successfully completed the first Linux kernel designed for PCs. This kernel included various system utilities and libraries from the GNU project to create a usable operating system based completely on open source code.

SEE more:- Difference between Linux and Unix 

Edited by abhishek_ji, 28 September 2016 - 02:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users