Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printer setup or install in Windows 10 - Any advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:19 PM

Once again, I am interested in advice for either setup or installing a printer (LOCAL printer) in Windows 10.    Why?  These online pages discussing about doing it:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/add-printer-windows-10

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2737935/add-printer-windows.html

http://www.techbout.com/add-printers-in-windows-10-12701/

Most of it but not all, seems straightforward, but I wonder if Windows 10 will do the setup for me.  If not, then at least I should be able to download the installation file for the driver/s.  

Not too clear is if Windows 10 would automatically detect and install the proper drivers just by plugging-in the turned-on printer.  If then I need to go through Settings and Devices-Printers-Scanners to reach "Add A Printer" ,  there is some question about a couple of options there.  What confuses me is the choice between, "the printer that I want isn't listed", and "Find a printer by other options".

In case the information would help:

Laptop with Windows 10, never yet having any printer installed/setup/;

Canon MP280 All-In-One Photo Printer, hoping to install or SETUP this device.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:13 AM

In my experience, typically the install disc or install file downloaded from the manufacturer's website will not only provide the drive, but complete the installation of the printer. This is certainly true of HP printers (all my printers are or have been HP printers).

Plus, there should be install instructions that came with the printer, unless you maybe got it used.

Here are the general instructions from the Canon site:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART165717&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1475039279622

These instructions seem to imply that no matter which way you do it ("full" package, CD, or MP drivers...CUPS is for Macs), you don't connect the printer until instructed. And it would appear that all will fully complete the printer install/setup as part of the driver/software install.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:23 AM

smax013,

Thanks for that advice.  If I find any trouble without using Canon's driver, then I know at least I could download and install the Canon driver/s from Canon.  I am hoping that Windows 10 is so clever that I could use it to set up the printer without getting the driver from Canon.  

A further Why:

I tried just plugging in a graphical pen & tablet onto two Windows Vista computers and an XP Windows computer,  and too much weird things were happening with Windows trying to find and put its own drivers to work.  Upon actually installing the MANUFACTURER's  driver from the supplied CD, there were no problems, and the graphical pen & tablet worked well on the Vista and the XP machines.

-

Then more recently, I wondered, if I could simply plug in the pen & tablet onot a couple of Windows 10 machines, and would there be any problems, and would the device work on that/those machines.  NO TROUBLES, and in fact the device works very well in Windows 10, WITHOUT installing the manufacturer's driver.    Now, I am wondering if I would have so little or no trouble getting the Canon MP280 setup on the new Windows 10 machine without using the driver/s from Canon.  And then there are those hyperlinks I listed.

Still, interested in other members' advices.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

If the canon driver is like the one I have for the ip2700 the driver will pop up dialog windows giving instructions on what to do for the driver install. 

If your computer is running fine with the printer installed I would advise you stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers. You can disable that feature. See heading 

Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

If the canon driver is like the one I have for the ip2700 the driver will pop up dialog windows giving instructions on what to do for the driver install. 

If your computer is running fine with the printer installed I would advise you stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers. You can disable that feature. See heading 

Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Okay now I read the article.  Too many things to worry about and to be confused about with drivers and Windows 10 Updates.    Is that article about setup WITHOUT the manufacturer's drivers, or for in case I do use the manufacturers drivers?  If Windows finds Windows Updates to download and install, these updates need to be for a logical reason and must be necessary.  I see no way to know if any updates are responsible for later functionality problems.  Would installing the printer using the Canon provided drivers installer take care of the whole problem of worrying about Windows (driver) updates?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

The setting for disabling drivers has nothing to do with regular Windows Updates. If the computer is running fine I see no reason to update drivers to a newer version. There is always a chance a new driver can do more harm than good. I can't say if Windows 10 would decide to update your printer driver though if driver updates are enables which they are by default. For instance, some Wifi drivers are only available through Windows Update but there have been issues where an update causes the Wifi to malfunction.

This page explains

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

Would installing the Canon's printer/scanner/copier drivers prevent the problem of Windows potentially installing updated drivers and interfering with the printer/scanner/copier device?

I took a look at the last article you referred.  "No - your device may not work as expected", different from what your referred article shows.  The article shows the option "No - let me choose....".  I will need to see what that screen says on the new computer.  I am looking at that control panel route on a different Windows 10 machine right now.  

Edited by cafejose, 28 September 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

Would installing the Canon's printer/scanner/copier drivers prevent the problem of Windows potentially installing updated drivers and interfering with the printer/scanner/copier device?

I do not know. There will be two major updates in 2017.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users