Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect win98 to broadband DSL modem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dee2

Dee2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:07 PM

I have an ActionTec GT701WG - 802.11G DSL modem with an Internet connection through Centurylink and a third party ISP.

I am trying to connect my Toshiba laptop running win98 to the internet through the modem .  I have an ethernet PC card to connect the computer to the modem.

I have not been able to connect to the setup address of  192.168.0.1  I have tried resetting the modem but no change.   

I typed in winipcfg and got the following Ethernet Adapter information:

-PPP Adapter
-IP Address: 0.0.0.0
-Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
-DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

I cannot ping 192.168.0.1

I can ping 127.0.0.1 so I believe the TCP/IP is working

Any help ideas on how I can get to 192.168.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

What is the make and model of the Toshiba and the Ethernet card. I assume you can connect to the modem with a more modern computer, correct?

#3 Dee2

Dee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:11 PM

It's a Toshiba 2515cds laptop computer with a Siemens SpeedStream 1012 PCMCIA Ethernet Network Card.

Yes, the modem does connect to the internet on another computer.

I have been trying to dig into this problem some more and I believe the issue is that the pc card is not being recognized by the computer.

I get to the device manager and the pc card and see there is a yellow exclamation mark on it.  The properties reveal this message:

Device status

The NDIS.VXD,NTKERN.VXD device loaders for this device could not load the device driver (code 2)

To fix this, click update driver to update the device drivers

Clicking that button yields:

The best driver Windows found is already installed for this device.

I tried reinstalling but there was no change.  I looked for updated drivers but found none.  At this point I feel like I am going around in circles.  The computer sees the card but can't load the drivers but then tells me the drivers are best ones found.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

A yellow exclamation point does indicate that the 98 does not recognize the device. Getting broadband to work on a windows 98 computer can be problematic. The VXD file in Windows 98 is created during install and contains all information on your hardware.

After uninstalling the driver did you reinstall using the add hardware wizard and manually selecting your your PCIMA card? I had a hard time getting a Windows 98 computer to connect using wireless until I uninstalled and reinstalled using he add hardware wizard.

Here is your quick start guide if you do not have one. It mentions running a diagnostic program if you cannot connect.

I used the wayback machine to try and find drivers for this card but unfortunately found none. What were you planning on using the computer for? Basic browsing and email?

Edit: I did find a driver for the 1012 here. I suggest you scan for viruses and use virustotal as a verification. Notice on the page there are two versions, 1a and 2a. It may that this indicates an updated driver or a driver for a specific version of your card. Look on the card and see if there is a version number. If not then use the 2a driver which would be the latest. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#5 Dee2

Dee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

Success! :bananas:

The downloaded drivers worked.  The laptop can now connect to the internet. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

No problem, glad you got it sorted out. Just a note though. I would not do any internet purchasing or banking on this computer. There is just too many security risks using Windows 98 on those sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users