Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP3 Need to use SFC /scannow for deleted files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lizfromerma

lizfromerma

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Hi! I am brand new to this site so please bear with me in posting. I have an OLD computer and I am

running XP3 home. Today like an idiot I deleted a bunch of files with some cleanup program. So Dumb!

Some of them were in the recycle bin so I was able to restore them because it does it for you. About 50 of them are on my desktop, the rest have been found by the program Advanced System Care 9, Undelete. For the ones that are in that program it is asking me to select a directory to store the files when they are recovered?? Anyway I am ready to use SFC /scannow. The problem is in the middle of the program you need to put in your windows install disc. I am running XP3 but the disk that came with

this computer is XP2 so the program to restore files (sfc/scannow) won't except the XP2 disc.

I tried using system restore but it won't restore to ann earlier date because I guess I have deleted or corrupted some of the files. Won't work in safe mode either. I downloaded a recovery program but 

you cannot run the program on the same drive that you need to restore files to. This machine only

has 1 drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am not dumb about computers, but there are some things I have always been confused about like file paths, and what file path to restore etc,.

Thank you for hearing me, and hopefully helping me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Do you have available trustworthy external media?  If so, direct Undelete to save anything/everything savable onto that external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

First of all...sfc /scannow won't restore any files.  What it will do, when properly used...is check for damaged or missing system files,,,by replacing such.  If you have deleted any files which are not system files...if you have damaged files which are not system files...the sfc /scannow command is not going to be of any value.

You might try the following program to recover deleted files:  Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva .  I and other members here have had success with it.

Louis

#4 lizfromerma

lizfromerma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thank you Louis, and RolandJS,

I will borrow an external drive from a friend of mine and also download the recovery programs that were suggested.

I will let you know tomorrow how it works out! Thank You So Much for answering so quickly, I really appreciate it!

Liz Eisele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users