Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.ODEN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 chiph

chiph

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Every document file on my computer now has a newname they all end in .ODEN

I was stupid and opened an atachement that said "here is un updated copy of your invoice" I have tried to rename documents but they are still will not open

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2016 - 03:18 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Ransomware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Suggest you upload an encrypted file and the ransom note here: https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

The site will atempt to give you a positive ID of the ransomware, and give you further instructions.

We are drowning in information - and starving for wisdom.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like something new.

Did you find any ransom notes? These infections are created to alert victims that their data has been encrypted and demand a ransom payment. Check your documents folder for an image the malware typically uses for the background note. Check the C:\ProgramData (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) for a randomly named .html, .txt, .png, .bmp, .url file. Most ransomware will also drop a ransom note in every directory/affected folder where data was encrypted.

Samples of any encrypted files, ransom notes or suspicious executables (installer, malicious files, attachments) that you suspect were involved in causing the infection can be submitted here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=168) with a link to this topic. Doing that will be helpful with analyzing and investigating by our crypto experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

Variant of Locky.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

Now that this infection has been identified as a variant of Locky, any further questions, comments or requests for help should be directed to this topic.To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users