Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

Hello,

What programs do i need on my Win 7 Premium 64-bit/Dell Inspiron? Do i need QuickTime & iTunes to play an iTunes musical app? And what's Java for? Adobe Acrobat & Acrobat Reader? I just want to get rid of programs that i'm not going to use/need, can you help me?  I read & listen to books, music, & movies.  I don't do gaming. And there's an app by Apple called "Relax Melodies" that i want to download, & if i download it does that mean i need QuickTime & iTunes or can Windows Media Player be used or is there one you would suggest i download to take care of all my needs? Also been looking at various VPN's to add a layer of security, any suggestions on which one i should use?
And that's not putting me at a high risk? Please advise?

Thanks,

CandyGirl1959 :cowgirl:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Do i need QuickTime & iTunes to play an iTunes musical app?

--Whatever VLC won't play, QuickTime can fill in the gap.

And what's Java for?

-- Firefox is a bigtime user of Java, it's like DirectX for Internet Explorer.

Adobe Acrobat & Acrobat Reader?

-- There are alternative PDF data file readers, I went back to Adobe eventually for my PDF readings.

I just want to get rid of programs that i'm not going to use/need, can you help me?

-- When installing most if not all software stuff, if given the choice, do the Custom or Advanced installs, such will give you a chance to uncheck extras.

I read & listen to books

-- There are some great free readers [voice & text-only] available.

...music, & movies

-- VLC free version will probably be all you need; and maybe Apple's QuickTime.

Apple..."Relax Melodies"...

-- I don't know, others will have to comment on this one

Also been looking at various VPN's to add a layer of security, any suggestions on which one i should use?

-- Some internet security packages such as Avast, AVG, Avira [and a whole lot of others!!] provide VPN operations.  I don't have a favorite or a recommendation -- others may have.

And that's not putting me at a high risk?

-- There is no such thing as 100% security; Quietman7 has some very great boilerplate posts that explain a great deal about security.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Remove Quicktime immediately. Apple no longer supports and there are a number of exploits in the latest (last) Windows version. The latest version of iTunes for Windows does not need Quicktime.

Remove Quicktime from Windows

And what's Java for?

That is not accurate. Do you mean ActiveX? DirectX is an API specifically for gaming and multimedia on the Windows platform. Java is a programming environment designed to be run on any device. They can perform similar functions, but are not that similar.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Remove Quicktime immediately. Apple no longer supports and there are a number of exploits in the latest (last) Windows version. The latest version of iTunes for Windows does not need Quicktime.

And what's Java for?

That is not accurate. Do you mean ActiveX? DirectX is an API specifically for gaming and multimedia on the Windows platform. Java is a programming environment designed to be run on any device. They can perform similar functions, but are not that similar.

You are correct!  I was distracted by around-noises and totally miss-typed the name!  ActiveX is what I should have typed.  Concerning Java, do all the browsers equally use Java?  If so, thanks for the heads-up!  :)

And, I was not aware that QuickTime is oldtime, no longer supported -- thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by RolandJS, 26 September 2016 - 01:48 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Somebody discovered a number of exploits in Quicktime allowing remote code execution, to which Apple was like "We're ending support for Quicktime under Windows. Problem solved!" Unfortunately, a few other softwares need Quicktime to function, such as Adobe Premiere and Sony Vega (I think). 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

The best thing for any user to do...regarding an unknown app...is to use Google to obtain information on said app.  You can visit the home website of the app to find prerequisites...you can insert the search string "problems with xxxx" where xxxx is the app name...and see user frustrations or praise for said app.

Individual opinions obtained in a forum like this...is not the best way to find answers to your queries, IMO.  Research is.

Louis

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

And what's Java for?

You are correct!  I was distracted by around-noises and totally miss-typed the name!  ActiveX is what I should have typed.  Concerning Java, do all the browsers equally use Java?  If so, thanks for the heads-up!   :)

And, I was not aware that QuickTime is oldtime, no longer supported -- thanks for the heads-up!

Browsers all use the same Java...sort of. There are different installers for Java depending on the browser. I think Chrome no longer supports Java in the NPAPI plugin archictecture, so Java applets do not work in Chrome. I think Firefox made that change recently, too. But, I may be thinking of JavaScript.

Individual opinions obtained in a forum like this...is not the best way to find answers to your queries, IMO.  Research is.

This is so true. Most forums are quick to recommend VLC as a main media player, and this forum is no exception. However, I have discovered a great number of users prefer MPC-HC over VLC. I think the reason is it is a better overall mediaplayer than VLC. VLC is good, but it is more on the advanced side. I think MPC-HC is simpler, and therefore better for most users.

#8 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

What is "MPC-HC" & "VLC"?   I have not downloaded QuickTime.  I have ran a update on iTunes, is that going to cause me a problem?  The only reason i put it on PC was to download an app called "Relax Melodies" for sleep/meditation.  Can i use a better media player that would play apps from the Apple site?  If so, which would be a good all around one that has not had problems or security issues?  Thanks to you guys for responding so quickly!!!! I'm sorry i'm a nurse & not a computer genius, LOL!!!! Awaiting an answer.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

MPC-HC -- https://mpc-hc.org/

VLC -- https://www.videolan.org/

Both of the above are like "record players" which can play all manner of "vinyl records".

What these two do is read an audio file and then plays that audio file through your speakers.

What these two do is read a video file, then plays the audio through your speakers and "plays" the video through the built-in monitor or through the external monitor.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 September 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#10 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:03 PM

Unless some of the sites you visit use Java (should see a Java loading screen for related content), then I'd uninstall it. If at any point in the future there is something you want to view that requires it, can always re-download. From what I've heard, more & more sites are moving to HTML5 media players & such, even Adobe Flash is kind of dead. I uninstalled my Java over 2 years ago & even have the Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.90.5 disabled in Firefox because it claims to be vulnerable. Why FF even keeps it there in the first place I don't know but yeah in all this time I've never encountered an instance where I needed to get Java back.

Edited by Mike_Soda, 26 September 2016 - 09:03 PM.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

What is "MPC-HC" & "VLC"?   I have not downloaded QuickTime.  I have ran a update on iTunes, is that going to cause me a problem?  The only reason i put it on PC was to download an app called "Relax Melodies" for sleep/meditation.  Can i use a better media player that would play apps from the Apple site?  If so, which would be a good all around one that has not had problems or security issues?  Thanks to you guys for responding so quickly!!!! I'm sorry i'm a nurse & not a computer genius, LOL!!!! Awaiting an answer.

MPC-HC and VLC are media players, just like QuickTime Player. If you have never updated or installed Quicktime, but have updated iTunes you are fine. You can not use another media player to run an app from the iTunes store. Unless, that app is just for streaming some online radio station. It is likely, but I tihkn you will find the app easier to use, versus loading up a media player like VLC.

If you want a media player then I recommend MPC-HC. However, you seem to be listening to apps from the iTunes Store/App Store so you are fine. You don't need one. If you ever get tired of your current "Relax Melodies" app there are a number of online radio stations out there that can provide "relaxing music" and so forth.

#12 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for responding, but what is "MPC-HC stand for? I have not downloaded that app "Relaxing Melodies", & i have iTunes on computer but i don't use it so i think i will delete it.  So in my terminolgy tell me which media player i should use for audio & video?  

Thanks awaiting reply,

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

It depends on what you want to play. Try either MPC-HC or VLC and see which ones work for you, which you feel most comfortable with. Both are excellent pieces of software.

If you want somebody to decide for you, I say go with MPC-HC. 

#14 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ok, but is that the abbreviation for Win Media Player?  Please SPELL IT OUT because i do not know tech talk.

Thanks,

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Ok, but is that the abbreviation for Win Media Player?  Please SPELL IT OUT because i do not know tech talk.

Thanks,

Oh my no. MPC-HC stands for "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema". Available here: https://mpc-hc.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users