Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Attempting Repair on cloned hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klandingham

klandingham

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hi there,

A close friend has a PC that he upgraded from Windows 7 -> 10 some time ago.  Everything was running fine, but recently when powering up the box he began to see S.M.A.R.T. warnings from the BIOS referencing his (only) internal hard drive, with an option to continue.  Windows 10 would start (albeit very slowly) and it, too, would report that his disk was failing.

He had a single, internal 1 TB drive partitioned in half, with the OS on C: and data on D:.  I got him a 2 TB drive to replace the failing one, and used Macrium Reflect to create a Windows PE boot CD with Reflect on it.  After booting from the CD and waiting for Reflect to load, I cloned the partitions off of the failing drive onto the new drive (connected via a USB drive bay).  The clone operation created 2 partitions on the new drive with the same size as the originals, and left about 1 TB of space unallocated on the new drive.  It took just over 8 hours to complete that clone operation.

Once the clone completed (with no reported errors), I swapped in the new drive and attempted to start Windows.  At first it appeared to be working, but (Windows 10?) apparently had issues with the new drive, reported doing some diagnostics, then displayed a screen with "Attempting Repairs" and the rolling "busy" graphic.  It's been like that for almost 24 hours, and I'm beginning to have doubts that anything is happening at all.  The drive activity LED is on solid.

Is what I have attempted even possible?  If so, why would Windows 10 have a problem with the new drive?   I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that a disk clone would take care of copying all the information required to boot the OS (MBR, etc) and that after the clone it would simply be a matter of swapping the new drive in.  (Yes, I know, silly me.)

Thanks for any advice / opinions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

Cloning is a sector by sector copy so cloning a failing drive that is giving Windows and SMART warning is not a good idea. Macrium will copy data from the failing sector and call it good if the sectors match. If you can backup the persons data the best solution would be to do a clean install using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. This would require the person to reinstall his programs and possibly some drivers. After setting up the new drive create a new disk image.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#3 klandingham

klandingham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Doesn't S.M.A.R.T. remap bad sectors?  Macrium has a "sector-by-sector" option which I have not enabled - the fact that option is even there suggests to me that by default, I'm not getting a sector-based copy.  Also, Windows 10 will boot from the failing drive - but it will constantly display dialog boxes complaining about the failing drive.  That seems to imply that the sectors (remapped or not) for the boot code and the OS files are still readable (for now).

I'm just guessing here - I'm no expert by any means.  But I find it curious that after swapping in the new drive, the boot code seems to be working and Win 10 seems to want to start, but has some issue with the new drive.  Windows' message "Attempting Repair" is dumbed-down to the point of being useless, IMO.

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

Windows' message "Attempting Repair" is dumbed-down to the point of being useless, IMO.

You hit the nail on the head with that sentence. The only thing I can say is I would never clone a failing drive. I think if you did a clean install of Windows 10 on the new drive you would not run into the problems you posted.

If this wasn't a sector by sector clone then I think 8 hours seems a little excessive unless the drive was near capacity. Windows repair should never take 24 hours. Just to rule out a bad drive which could happen run Seatools for Windows on the new drive and do the short/long tests. If the drive passes then do a clean install on the drive and see if you have the same issues.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Have the data folders and files been copied to another available trusted external media - just before the SMART warnings started?  If not, perhaps it can still be done via Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot's file manager.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 September 2016 - 06:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

Many cloning software support clone only used part on the hard drive. 

Tell me more!  I'd like to learn more about cloning.  So far, like the thread starter, I have had some success! and some so-so success with cloning.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users