Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Boots from a random X:\ Drive instead of C:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 catfahmi

catfahmi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED. managed to fix it myself.

Here's How:

Ok so here are the steps I took to fix this issue.

I booted to a Windows Repair Disk 64 bit (use the proper one for your system) and brought up the CMD prompt.

I decided to first check which partition was active so I used the "diskpart" command and pressed enter

From here, it will show you which drives you have on your PC ex: Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2 etc. as well as the size of each drive.

Since I'm working on a laptop I only had 1 show up so I then proceeded to select that drive by typing " select disk 0"

You can replace 0 with which ever drive you might have, in this case mine is 0

Then I went on to check the partitions on this drive by typing "list partition" which brought up a list of the partitions on that specific drive

Take notice that they are not letter coded but rather are listed as "Partition 1, Partition 2, etc along with the partition type and size"

I had a total of 4 Partitions 1 labeled "OS", another "RECOVERY" a third "DELLUTILITY" and the star of the show Partition 4 aka drive X:

From here i wanted to set the PC to boot from the "OS" aka partition 1 so I typed "select partition 1" change the number according to your specific partition setup.

it will say "Disk (#) selected" # being your partition number

once that was done I went along and typed "active" and pressed enter.

You will get "Partition "#" is active", Then I closed command prompt and ran System repair from the repair disk and the laptop restarted. 

Finally it booted into the windows 7 partition but I received the error

File:   \Boot\BCD

Info:  "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

This usually means the boot sector is damaged or missing, but can be replaced with a repair disk

I booted from the repair disk once more and went back into the command prompt and typed "C:" where Windows is then ENTER, there i typed  "Bootrec /RebuildBcd" don't forget the spaces and then press ENTER.

I then closed command prompt and rebooted and VOILA sexy windows 7 booted up like a charm.

Now this worked for me and i do not guarantee this same method will work for you, but go ahead and give it a shot at your own risk. 

i think i have same problem with NinjaSaku..

but after using ninjasaku solution i restart the pc and the pc stuck at black screen no bootable device -- insert insert boot disk and press any key..

can somebody help me with this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 catfahmi