Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Set Dell Laptop Password Before Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zlloyd1

zlloyd1

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

Last week I tried to turn on my laptop to check my Email, and it requested a password to open desktop (  :radioactive: normal :radioactive: ), but instead of my normal password it wanted my Microsoft Account login information which I did not remember....  :smash:

So, I tried to change this back to normal, but it is Microsoft so NOTHING worked, and I ended up setting a password before it even starts to load Windows. Apparently, this is a Dell password that I did not want, and I would like to disable it please. My reason to disable this ignorance is because it routinely forgets my password and tells me it is NOT VALID, and then try again. This is an issue because it only lets you try 3 times and then reboots.  :killcomp:

Eventually it will work with the initial password you entered, but not until making it take an hour to turn on your computer because the login is SO poorly coded....

I wish I could attach a screenshot, but all of this is before Windows even starts to boot up.

P.S. I want to disable this password the SAME way I set it, WITHOUT having to take the laptop apart please!!  :bounce: 

:clapping: Thanks in advance!!  :clapping:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

This may be the UEFI password if it's required before booting into Windows. Tap F2 at boot and once you successfully enter UEFI settings, disable the password. 

#3 zlloyd1

zlloyd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Tap F2 at boot and once you successfully enter UEFI settings, disable the password. 

How should I enter UEFI settings exactly??

Forgive me, but I am somewhat computer illiterate over here....  :bubbles:  :bubbles:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Tap the F2 key at boot. How did you set this password to begin with? In order to set a UEFI password you need to enter UEFI settings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users