Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop Spontaneously Trying to Revert to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swataz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Hello all,

I did a forum search and I didn't see this, so I hope I am not being redundant with this post.

The other day, my wife awoke to find her laptop showing a screen saying "Restoring your previous version of WIndows."

Mind you, Windows 10 was installed without prompting about 5 months ago.

Anyway, she did not initiate a previous OS restoration, nor would she know HOW.

It did not complete, and Windows 10 is still installed. I believe this has happened a few times already and I want to know, before this thing gets corrupted somehow, if anyone else has had this experience and how they solved it. It is very puzzling and equally ANNOYING.

Thanks, all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

I don't have much experience with Windows 10 but I don't think your message refers to reverting to Windows 7. Microsoft is rolling out the Anniversary Update slowly. If that fails it reverts to the previous version of Windows 10. 

What is your version and build of Windows 10? The version for the anniversary edition is 1607

#3 swataz

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

Hi JohnC

Thanks for that insight. That actually makes sense as it seems to have coincided with a Windows update. It was probably automatically added to the updates.

I just checked and it is indeed 1607. It may have failed the first time and then "took" last night.

I appreciate the post! This will probably end the discussion, but I will report back with any funny business that occurs.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users