Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help in setting up VPN at home using Windows server 2008 r2

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:31 AM

HI,

I have a public ip address which i have brought from my isp i have successfully set up the VPN on it and even configured it. i can connect to VPN from inside my home using the private ip but i am not able to connect it from Outside my home using public ip.

I have opened the firewall too also NAT but thats not helping. I have setup a username and password too to access it but public id and password is not working.

I cant figure out what is the problem causing this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

What guide did you use to setup this vpn?  Please provide a link to it.

Did you setup port forwarding in the router to the static ip of your server for the vpn port(s)?

#3 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

What guide did you use to setup this vpn?  Please provide a link to it.

Did you setup port forwarding in the router to the static ip of your server for the vpn port(s)?

Setup was easy and simple but what i am not able to do is connect VPN from outside to my home server.Can you help? And yes i did port forwarding too on my router but that didnt help from accessing VPN from outside using public ip

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

what ports did you forward?

#5 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

what ports did you forward?

i have forwarded to 1723 on my router and i can access my vpn only internally not from outside my network

Edited by urgenthelp, 30 September 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

OK.  So you are using PPTP.  Did you make sure your router isn't blocking GRE?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13576/how-configure-gre-tunnel

#7 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

OK.  So you are using PPTP.  Did you make sure your router isn't blocking GRE?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13576/how-configure-gre-tunnel

No i am not using PPTP i am using L2TP with username and password.I believe what ur asking me about GRE it is not blocking because i can access VPN internally.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

You don't touch your router when connecting internally so the conclusion that GRE isn't blocked isn't factual. 

But that doesn't matter since you are using L2TP.  You have the wrong port(s) forwarded for L2TP

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3142791?tstart=0

#9 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:18 AM

You don't touch your router when connecting internally so the conclusion that GRE isn't blocked isn't factual. 

But that doesn't matter since you are using L2TP.  You have the wrong port(s) forwarded for L2TP

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3142791?tstart=0

I DIDNT UNDERSTOOD A SINGLE WORD YOU SAID. Can you show the way to setup VPN for external ip?

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

How about we start with why you want a vpn so we know we are setting up the right thing for you?

#11 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

How about we start with why you want a vpn so we know we are setting up the right thing for you?

I wanna setup vpn for security purpose to do online transaction from my home i have been got hacked twice and lost 1-5k. because of this i want to VPN service for my home so i can connect to my home vpn without any pain.

can you help?

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

"I wanna setup vpn for security purpose to do online transaction from my home"

and

" so i can connect to my home vpn"

You are talking two different types of vpns.  For your outbound transactions you would enlist a vpn service with the additional caveat that when you do a online transaction you are using https <--note the S as in secure not http for your transaction connection.

Now if you want to connect from the outside to inside your home consider using remote desktop or team viewer which encrypt the conection

#13 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

"I wanna setup vpn for security purpose to do online transaction from my home"

and

" so i can connect to my home vpn"

You are talking two different types of vpns.  For your outbound transactions you would enlist a vpn service with the additional caveat that when you do a online transaction you are using https <--note the S as in secure not http for your transaction connection.

Now if you want to connect from the outside to inside your home consider using remote desktop or team viewer which encrypt the conection

LET SAY I JUST WANT TO CONNECT FROM OUTSIDE TO INSIDE MY HOME FOR SAFE AND ONLINE PRIVACY PURPOSES. IS IT POSSIBLE TO SET IT UP??

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

It sounds like you want to bounce off your home system from the outside to the internet securely.

Doesn't work that way.

Not only are you using the same connection/bandwidth for in and out vpn /internet access, [going to need a big pipe for that], your home wan ip is still exposed as is your home connection to the internet.

Now if you just wanted access to your home network securely, there are a number of ways but it depends on the device doing the access.  Your laptop or someone else's device?

#15 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:16 AM

It sounds like you want to bounce off your home system from the outside to the internet securely.

Doesn't work that way.

Not only are you using the same connection/bandwidth for in and out vpn /internet access, [going to need a big pipe for that], your home wan ip is still exposed as is your home connection to the internet.

Now if you just wanted access to your home network securely, there are a number of ways but it depends on the device doing the access.  Your laptop or someone else's device?

5 smartphones and 3 laptop running simultaneously "Lets just say FROM HOME i just want to access internet securely completely net neutrality only at home not from anywhere else,i dont want to use it from anywhere else".

Now will that be possible? or still going to be complicated. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users