Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to move contents of SSD to new SSD with Macrium Reflect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Koetsu

Koetsu

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:11 AM

I bought a new, larger SSD and I want to move over my current OS install to the larger one and start using that.

I've used Macrium Reflect to image my current drive to an external drive. I've also tried simply copying the partitions to the new drive. With the copying partition method, when I try to boot the drive, I briefly see a low-res loading animation, then a black screen with the mouse cursor on it. If I image the new drive with my backup image, the lock screen is stuck in a loop fading in and the mouse cursor is constantly in the busy state. Plus this leaves the extra space of the new drive unallocated. And with both of these methods, I get visible System Reserved drives, which is distracting.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've always feared moving OS installs and this is precisely why. I've already lost a USB drive doing this. Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

What is the make of the new SSD? The manufacturer usually includes migration software with the SSD.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

I'm guessing the new SSD is not prepped yet -- is the OS partition on the original SSD a GPT or an MBR?  I think a partition manager on a usb stick might be needed to prep the new SSD.  Let's see if others enter in and further guide our course so far.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 September 2016 - 12:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

The source drive is a Samsung EVO 256 GB. The destination drive is the 500 GB variant.
Macrium seems to identify it as MBR, which is what my boot SSD currently is.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Go here and download the Samsung Data Migration Software. Read the user guide.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Koetsu, what were the choices you made for Macrium Reflect's imaging of the original SSD HD.  I'm asking because I'm familiar with Macrium Reflect and I would like to learn about your way of doing it, and, maybe we can smoke out the cause of the problem.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Koetsu, what were the choices you made for Macrium Reflect's imaging of the original SSD HD.  I'm asking because I'm familiar with Macrium Reflect and I would like to learn about your way of doing it, and, maybe we can smoke out the cause of the problem.

First, I tried the way described here. http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
That gets me just a black screen after booting.

Then I tried this. http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions
But that gets me stuck in an infinite loop on the lock screen.

I've still yet to try the Samsung software, which I believe may work.

Edit: Tried the Samsung cloning software and it was seamless and a success.

Edited by Koetsu, 26 September 2016 - 11:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users