Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent hard drive issues across multiple hard drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jazzman831

jazzman831

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

I'm having issues with some of my hard drives and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.

As a little background, I had been having some problems with my computer crashing (see this post for the full details), but after replacing a possibly faulty SSD, upgrading the PSU, and replacing the CPU cooler, I've been Steady Eddie for 2 months now, in terms of performance and crashing. My initial Hard Drive setup was as follows:

Disk 1: OCZ Vector-150 240GB SDD (set up as main OS install drive)

Disk 2: WD Blue WD4000AAKS 400GB (set up with photos/videos)

Disk 3: Some old 80GB HDD

Disk 4: Some old 80GB HDD

Disks 3 and 4 were set up as a mirror space (ReFS) through Storage Spaces. When I was being helped with my crashing problems, the guy who was helping me noticed a lot of errors on disk 3. I decided since (1) both hard drives were pretty small and (2) both hard drives were pretty old, and (3) I was using the mirror space to save my most important documents, it was time to upgrade. While I was waiting to be able to get to the store, one of the hard drives in the array was marked as retired -- lucky me on the timing! I bought the new hard drives (WD Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB), swapped one out, copied the mirror, swapped the other, then copied the mirror again. (I think in between swapping the other 80GB hard drive dropped out of the array, but I'm not 100% sure).

So I haven't had any issues with anything until a few days ago. Now my issues are:

1. On Friday, I got a message from Storage Spaces that one of the new hard drives was marked as retired.
  2. When I was making backups of the other drive (just in case), I realized that Disk 2 wasn't being shown in Windows Explorer. I moved to another SATA port and it came back up. I moved it back to the original and it was still there, so it's not simply a continuously bad port. I don't know precisely how long this drive was missing, except that I did get an error message last week when doing a backup (with Windows backup) that could be explained by a missing drive.
  3. Also when I was making backups, I was having trouble copying video files from one of my external drive to the Storage Space drive. It would give me messages like "Not enough space on Docs. 699MB required. Delete files to clean up space. Free space 90GB". Overall I think I was trying to copy ~60GB of files into ~90GB of free space. I tried a .txt file (the only thing on the drive that wasn't a video file) and it worked fine.
  4. When the backup ran this tonight I got the following error: "Check your backup. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. Error code 0x800701E3". The backup takes an image of the OS from disk one, and files off of disk 2 and the Storage Spaces array and saves them on an external drive. I don't know which of the drives caused the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My specs are as follows:

OS -- Windows 10 x64

CPU -- AMD FX-6300 @ stock settings

Video Card -- Radeon R7 200 @ stock settings
    MotherBoard -- Gigabyte GA-970A-D3p (6 SATA ports, 1 of which is being used for the CD/DVD)
    Power Supply -- OCZ GSX700 (700W)
    Hard drives -- see above

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by jazzman831, 25 September 2016 - 07:55 PM.

here =/= hear
their =/= there =/= they're
quiet =/= quite
Newegg commenters can't speel! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jazzman831

jazzman831
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

So, some updates:

1. The 400GB hard drive (disk 2, above) has so far been stable on the new SATA port, but it's also only been a couple days.
  2. When messing around with things, I realized that somehow when I set up the Storage Spaces I overprovisioned the pool (IIRC, I allocated 186gb of space to a 160gb pool). While the numbers don't quite seem to add up, this may explain the "not enough space" error (#3 above).
  3. Since all 3 hard drives that have had problems are Western Digital (probably coincidence, since the two original 80gb weren't WD), I downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and ran it against all three problem drives (#'s 2, 3, and 4). All the drives passed the quick test. Drive #2 and drive #3 (the one that dropped out of the array) passed the long test, but drive #4 (the one that didn't drop out of the array) failed, citing "too many bad sectors". I couldn't find a way to run CHKDISK on a drive in Storage Spaces, so I couldn't attempt to clean up the errors (it's also formatted ReFS, so I wonder if the errors are physical?). For kicks, it also let me do a short and long test on the "Storage Space" virtual drive... dunno if that test is meaningful, but it also passed.
  4. After I ran the tests, I formatted the previously dropped hard drive and put it back into the Storage Spaces pool. Just out of curiosity, I ran the short and long tests again, and it passed again. So the WD tool probably wasn't throwing errors on the "good" hard drive because of Storage Spaces -- they are probably real errors.

TLDR: So, I guess my questions are two-fold:

1. Do I have bad luck with hard drives (granted, the first two mirror drives were OLD and the newest two are factory refurb), problems with Storage Spaces, or is my motherboard/SATA controller crapping out?
  2. Since I don't really have enough SATA ports to do good troubleshooting, would it be advantageous to get an PCI SATA card and move a couple of the drives to it? I'm not sure if that removes variables or adds them.

Thanks in advance!

here =/= hear
their =/= there =/= they're
quiet =/= quite
Newegg commenters can't speel! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users