Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many "ASU_MSI_TRAN" restore points

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to ascertain why I have so many restore points associated with "ASU_MSI_TRAN" (whatever that is)?

Also, why is there no option to upload and post an attachment so I could illustrate my question with a screen clipping?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

Hi bcmo :)

It seems that this restore point was created by MSI. Do you have any MSI software or hardware on your computer? Also, only some sections allows you to attach files to posts, the General Security isn't one of them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

Hi bcmo  :)

It seems that this restore point was created by MSI. Do you have any MSI software or hardware on your computer?

By MSI I assume you mean Microsoft Installer.

Doesn't every Windows Computer by definition have many of those?

Also, only some sections allows you to attach files to posts, the General Security isn't one of them.

Would you happen to know reason for that? As it would be very helpful to be able to attach screen images.

Edited by bcmo, 30 September 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#4 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

By the way I'd just like to point out that posting on this site is extremely buggy. I spent a good few minutes trying to enter the reply above. I was first told to log in again when pressing "Post". Then when I redid my post into the blank box it became duplicated a few times (and that happened several times as well). I almost despaired of getting it to look the way it does above.

I think the programming should be looked into, so these glitches can be avoided.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

No by MSI I mean the the computer hardware company: Micro-Star International. Though these restore points could have been created by Windows' MSI.

And I do not know the reason as to why only some sections allows attachments and some not. Most likely because they aren't needed in some sections (like this one).

The website is working well for me and many other users. Which web browser are you using, and what extensions do you have installed on it (if any)?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

I don't have any "Micro-star" folders in "Programs", ProgramData", "AppData" or anywhere else that I can find.

I'm using Slimjet (which is Chromium based) with adblock.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

It'll be easier if we just get a list of the programs you have installed on your system.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
Can you reproduce the issues you're experiencing on BleepingComputer with Internet Explorer?

unite_blue.png

#8 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

Tried replying last night but couldn't (I pressed "Post" like fifteen times, and logged in around five times). By the way, the latest version of Firefox was no better. (I have a K9 filter blocking ads and other categories, and I also have the Flash plugin disabled, so perhaps that has something to do with it, although I don't have any issues on other sites aside from Flash videos which I don't care about.)

I could run the tool, just want to make sure you think this is a false positive (I assume it is).

Regarding the 10 latest errors: the last restore point from ASU_MSI_TRAN was on 9/25, and there are more than 10 Event Viewer errors since than so I don't think that'll be helpful (though I could still provide them if you think subsequent ones will help). Here's an example of an error that took place near one of the aforementioned restore point times, and it was caused by Avast software updater trying to update Skype but failing. There are quite a few errors that are identical to it.

-----------------

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          9/25/2016 11:21:15 PM
Event ID:      11321
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
Computer:      thisPC
Description:
Product: Skype™ 7.28 -- Error 1321. The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Skype\desktop.ini.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">11321</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-09-26T03:21:15.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>223092</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>thisPC</Computer>
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Product: Skype™ 7.28 -- Error 1321. The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\Skype\desktop.ini.</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>(NULL)</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users