Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my external hdd is dead, how do I make sure it is......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

So I have an older iomaga (ices-003 class external hdd that I keep around to back up my ps3. So today when I went to plug it into my ps3 to back it up(for like the millionth time) the drive would not show up, I then plugged it into my computer, still not showing. I have checked all my usb ports and disk management, still nothing. I know the cord itself is not dead because it was used for something else literally a hour ago. The light on the side of the drive is just on(normal when not writing/reading, blinks when working)

Is their anything else I can do to check/do to know whether it is working, Can I take it out of the case and directly connect it into my PC without problems?

It really is not an issue data wise because I keep that data on all my pc's, its just that I want to know that it is done, and that I'm not getting ride of a perfectly good peace of hardware.

Thanks for the help, if you need any other info I might have left out please ask.

Attached File  100_2046.JPG   83.06KB   0 downloads

Edited by superking75, 25 September 2016 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Attach the hard drive to your computer. Open a command prompt. Type the following command.

diskpart   -  Will open a diskpart command prompt

list disk

Is the disk listed? If it is download Seatools for Windows and run the short/long tests. If not then carefully pull the drive from the enclosure and attach via a USB enclosure or USB adapter. Hopefully it will be detected.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seatools+for+windows&btnI

Edit: Possibly you have the same problem as this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CrJfvVPQc

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

So opened it up, not like in the video shown.

Does their have to be a separate enclosure? or can I plug the hdd right into my computer internally?

Attached File  100_2055.JPG   186.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100_2056.JPG   142.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  100_2059.JPG   198.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  100_2060.JPG   135.92KB   0 downloads

fun fact: another reason to own a leatherman, fit the screws perfectly

Edited by superking75, 26 September 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

You can attach it internally if you have an extra bay. I'm pretty sure you can pull the USB bridge card from the drive but be very careful when doing it. Don't force it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#5 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

sorry for the delay, haven't had much time lately.

So I pulled the HDD out and put it on a pc(one fixed thanks to bleeping) and it worked like a charm, tested the cord on a printer, same, worked fine. So correct me if i'm wrong, but it's the enclosure(or something in it) that is the problem, unless I missed another factor.

Is going cheap on the enclosure going to cause a problem?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

It seems your bridge card failed. I purchased a cheap IDE enclosure for a 3.5 drive and it has been working fine.

#7 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

Wow, um yeah. So today for what ever reason I looked at my ups and saw a plug lanled hdd. After checking I realized that I had been using the wrong plug for the external drive, (9v, when the hdd requires 12), So the hard drive works fine, and I feel kinda dumb ish.

thanks for the help anyways

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users