Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Administrator Account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 john975

john975

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Somehow lost access to administrator account so I am trying to use computer as administrator again. Using the web i came up with some commands to use in cmd and I attached a screen shot of what I have. It looks like I can not attach this file to my thread so I will try to print most of it.

C:\users\owner>net user

user accounts for \\owner-pc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Administrator                                  DefaultAccount                            Guest

Owner

The command completed successfully.                                    

C:\user\Owner>net user administrator\\/active:yes   (command I used to regain administrator account)

The syntax of this command  is:

Net user

[username [password   (after password there is vertical line can't duplicate)  *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]

username {password  (same character can't duplicate) *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]

Okay there are more options like this....what I think I need is the correct command to allow me to be administrator. As it is now I can not access user account.or anything with a shield icon.

Can anyone explain how to regain administrator account again.....My account name was owner and administrator and had no password

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

See if the following works.It may say access denied.

Press the Windows key + X. Select cmd as admin. Type the following command. 

net user administrator /active:yes

Logout of your account and you should see the hidden Administrator account. Use the Administrator Account to create a new admin account. After the new admin account has been created type the following command to hide the Administrator account using an elevated command prompt. cmd as admin

net user administrator /active:no

#3 john975

john975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

John a window pops up (user acct control).....Do you want this application to  make changes blah blah......but  you are not able to print password or click yes only no

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

There is a way to enable the hidden Administrator account using an offline registry edit but it is somewhat involved and I can't say it will work for Windows 10. You would need a Windows 10 install disk which you can create using the Media Creation Tool. Boot the disk and at the first screen where it asks what language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.

Follow the below guide. Instead of using the %windir% command shown in the guide browse to the SAM hive on your internal disk. It could be C: or even D:. The SAM hive would be at Windows/system32/config.

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

Here is a guide on getting the command prompt at boot using the Windows 10 install disk. A different method than Shift + F10

See option one. Please note if you have a Restore Point available before the problem occurred you can try doing a system restore using Repair Computer as shown in the above link. Do this before attempting to edit the registry in my first link. Edit: If you can access System Restore in your current account see if you can access System Restore and revert back to a date just before you lost the account.

Edit: Added link for Media Creation Tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#5 john975

john975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

I am running free win 10 upgrade so no installation disc. I have 4 recuse CD's for win 7 Best Buy created. Can not get into backup or restore.  I did create a rescue disk for win 10 recently. 

I recently read Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet .....make you wonder doesn't it...LOL

John I can still use the computer....I appreciate your help

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

The disks from Best Buy will not work. You need to create the Windows 10 DVD/USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool to either edit the registry or do a System Restore.

#7 john975

john975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

With the recent recovery flash drive with systems files I created should allow a clean install of win 10?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

If this is a USB you created for recovery it's my understanding you can do a reset where is will allow you to keep your files or erase everything and reinstall Windows. In either case you would need to reinstall all your programs.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users