Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

benefit and safety of home vpn

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

Is it safe to create a home VPN system?  From a security perspective, I am not sure if this is the right thinking or not, but if I tunnel to my home IP, isn't my home private IP address now public since all traffic is being directed there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Your home private IP address is going to be encapsulated in the encypted VPN packets, if you set it up right. Only the public IP address will be viewable in any packets send to it.

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

While Public IP address is this?  The source of the packets?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

The public IP address of your home computer has to be "readable" by routers on the Internet, or the packets can't be delivered. What most VPNs do is encrypt the packets' contents, so anyone doing a packet capture can't read them. Any info in those packets, like the private IP addresses of your devices, isn't readable, so they don't get exposed.

#5 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

I have been anticipating getting a good VPN because: i'm not trained in computers, i want to not be traceable when looking up info that i find interesting, or when i'm having a private message with someone, etc.  I don't like to have a probe up my tail being nosey.  You guys have the knowledge to scoot around things that i don't know.  Does someone have info which ones are truly what they claim?  And i don't want to have to spend a fortune on it, i don't have it to pay.  So which has ip's all around the world that can back up there claim without costing an arm & leg?  Good luck Sniper8752!

CandyGirl1959 :cowgirl:

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

" i want to not be traceable when looking up info that i find interesting"

The type of vpn you discussed does not do this.  Your vpn is to your private network not the other way around.  In other words its inbound to you only not outbound to the internet.

You need to subscribe to a vpn service.  This will then allow you to connect to their server via a vpn and then come out to the internet via their provider.

Here is an example of what I am talking about

https://www.top10vpn.com/best-vpn-for-usa/?bsid=c33se1kw190&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFWEPAEK4H1ySrICFf2CGRhQ8ToHuqiCZCpLxH1ryaURRoCw0rw_wcB

Edited by Wand3r3r, 26 September 2016 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users