Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question- First Attempt at Encryption

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Would like to secure only a handful of files and folders by encrypting them on a flash drive containing gigs of data.

Two questions-

1) Is a program like veracrypt overkill for my needs?

2) Would 7-zip be sufficient? Not sure if this is supposed to happen- I encrypted a file with 7-zip but the original unencrypted file still remained alongside the encrypted one. Is that to be expected? do I just delete or shred it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

What do you plan to do with the files? For example, will you edit them regularly?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

1) No, Veracrypt is very good at encrypting a "container file" that would hold your file and folders. You can also encrypt the whole drive.

You could do the same with 7zip but it would not be as convenient as Veracrypt. It would also not be as secure. Setting up a container file on a USB flash drive is a fairly simple process.

The main disadvantage of Veracrypt is it needs to be installed on the computer you are accessing the flash drive from. Using 7zip would allow you to use it on any computer.

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the quick replies (and video).

The files are a combination of contact info (phone, email, etc) for family & friends, some work data...unfinished reports, family pics.

Some, like the work files, will be edited others won't.

Thanks again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

I would recommend you keep your data in two locations. If the device this data is on fails you have another to fall back on.

#6 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

I would recommend you keep your data in two locations. If the device this data is on fails you have another to fall back on.

Noted. Thanks.

#7 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:03 PM

Happy with Veracrypt. Thanks for the assists.

Curious how programs like Ciphershed, Safehouse and My Lockbox compare?

Anyone try these others?

Thanks

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

2) Would 7-zip be sufficient? Not sure if this is supposed to happen- I encrypted a file with 7-zip but the original unencrypted file still remained alongside the encrypted one. Is that to be expected? do I just delete or shred it?

Thanks.

There is an option to 'delete file after compression', which will delete the original if desired...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users