Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop w/ Vista *ready to lose my mind!*

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheDudeObides88

TheDudeObides88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

I usually don't take on fixing windows PCs but I figured I'd do it for a friend. I have spent countless hours searching and Facebook group and Toshiba support forums for an answer with no success so maybe someone on here can shed some light for me before I go insane. Here goes.

The laptop in question is a Toshiba satellite P 500. I recently did Toshibas system recovery restoring everything back to factory settings. On completion the Wi-Fi doesn't work anymore even though it's turned on I also can't hook up the ethernet cable directly to get Internet, it all worked before the recovery. I have tried searching for the drivers in the device manager to reinstall but had no luck. I am on wits end to get the internet back up and running. I have looked high and low for an answer with no luck I'm hoping someone on here can guide me to a fix before I pull my hair out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Is this Vista SP2? Right click Computer, select Properties, and verify you have SP2.

#3 TheDudeObides88

TheDudeObides88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

Says Windows Vista Ultimate

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

You should be a SP2 before attempting to install the Wifi and Ethernet drivers. You can download SP1 and SP2, which requires SP1 to be installed first, on another computer and copy them to a flash drive. After installing the service packs look in Device Manager for any devices with yellow exclamation marks. Right click each and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and Paste the first line of each into your next post after installing SP1 and SP2.

SP1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30

SP2 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

Double check what if any SP you have using this guide.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/srvpackvista.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#5 TheDudeObides88

TheDudeObides88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

I ended up doing a system recovery again and now I keep getting a toshiba configuring system screen that keeps automatically popping up and restarting once done. I didn't have this happen before. Once this stops I'll try that next if it's still not working, are those .exe files? I ask because I only have macs and won't be able to download and transfer to a USB on there.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

If the USB flash drive is FAT32 you should be able to download the exe files and copy them to the flash drive. Then install them on the Toshiba.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users