Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very newbie encryption question -- CA with a key strength lower than decadents

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 IrishG

IrishG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hi all,

This is perhaps a very newbie question but I can't find a definitive answer, so hence my question.

My theoretical scenario.

An organisation has a PKI CA with a very low key strength, say for example 1024 bits

The decadents such as the users registered from the CA have a higher key strength of 2048 bit and each have a physical ID file which contains information of their public key and the key identifier of the CA that issued their ID, 

An attacker has managed to steal the user's ID even if the user's original ID was recreated/re-certified would the lower encryption of the CA allow the attacker find enough information to help compromise the CA even in theory?  

Thanks in advance for all replies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users