Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattUC

MattUC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to update my PC for a while now and it seems like it just refuses to update and stalls either at 99% or 0%.

I've tried clearing the update cache (C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution + net stop wuauserv) which doesn't seem to work.

I've also tried updating to anniversary edition which also failed.

I don't really have the exact error codes but I do recall something along the lines of FIRST_BOOT, it hung on the screen with the blue windows logo and the loading dots for 5+ hours.

I've tried to download the updates manually from the Microsoft update catalog, letting windows update run for 10+ hours, and some other stuff.

My winver is showing up as Version 10.0 (Build 10240).

I built the PC myself, specs are as follows:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4

GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1300

CPU: Intel i7-5938K

SSD: 2x SAMSUNG 850 EVO

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB

HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

You have an obsolete version of Windows 10.  You're probably going to have to download the Media Creation Tool and use it to get current.  You can get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 MattUC

MattUC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

I've had this for a couple hours already, should I just let it keep running?

http://prntscr.com/cmqb5z

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Matt,

I would not.  You need to snag the ISO for the latest Windows 10 version for your platform (and edition of Windows - Home or Pro) and after burning it to a DVD try upgrading that way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users