Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good combination?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Profetus

Profetus

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi, my current Bitdefender 2016 trial is almost over and I'm looking for the best combination of anti-virus and anti-malware programs for the best defence against any kind of threats. I currently have SUPERAntiSpyware (free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(free) and Bitdefender 2016.

As soon as my Bitdefender trial is over, I was thinking of changing the combination for something better(if there is?). What do you suggest? What's the best I can get for free? Also, is it really worth buying an AV program like Bitdefender and Kasperspky?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular setup that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

You might want to reach through these recent topic discussions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Profetus

Profetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. How do I know what's the best set up for me?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

You may know not right away. As I said, everyone's systems is different and sometimes you have to experiment to see what works best. Some programs are more resource heavy than others and may slow down your system in such a manner that you are not willing to live with. The rest is a matter of personal preference (past experience) or recommendations/opinions by others.

The combo should consist of a trustworthy anti-virus and anti-malware solution as I noted in those two topic discussions (and here) along with Windows built-in Firewall. You can also add other anti-malware solutions as stand-alone scanners....see Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those annoying pop-ups and ads. In some cases you may be able to disable them through the program's settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch to another product if the pop-up and ads annoy you that much.

In regards to anti-malware products, the primary benefit of paid software is that most of them offer additional features such as real-time protection against malware infection and free technical support. In contrast, free versions are limited...typically used as stand-alone scanners or to provide some behind the scene protection so there really no need to allow them to run at startup and consume system resources.

Whether one chooses to use a free or paid for product really depends on their personal needs, financial situation and what level of security they are attempting to achieve.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

#5 Profetus

Profetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

What about Hitman Pro and RogueKiller? Do they do their job well enough so I don't need another AV program? Are they reliable and good in what they do? I've read some critiques about those two, but when I tried Hitman Pro for 1 day, I thought it was pretty good. Also, is Emisoft better than Malwarebytes AE and AM? Is ESET Nod free version light and without malware behaviour? (I don't want my AV to bloat my software and make my PC run slow)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

HitmanPro Second Opinion Malware Scanner
BleepingComputer Review: HitmanPro

RogueKiller is an advanced anti-malware program created by Tigzy that scans running processes and stops/terminates those which are malicious in a manner similar to Rkill but it is written in C++. RogueKiller will clean the running processes before being killed, and on demand will clean the registry in order to make a faster and safer disinfection when using other security removal tools. RogueKiller will show everything it finds that is a possible problem but you need to know what to remove and what not to remove so I do not recommend it for the novice user.

I am a firm believer that if you're unsure how to use a particular security tool or interpret any logs it generates, then you probably should not be using it. Folks often panic when they see log results they do not understand. Some security tools are intended for advanced users, those who are knowledgeable of the Windows registry or to be used under the guidance of an expert who can interpret the log results and investigate it for malicious entries before taking any removal action.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. MBAE provides realtime protection against the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

MBAE provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection...meaning it will protect against code executio

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal...it does not provide any real-time protection and therefore, it cannot be used to block or prevent malware infection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system, prevent access to and from known malicious webpages, and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source...it is not free but it is worth the investment.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate.

Emsisoft’s Behavior Blocker continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. This advanced behavior blocking technology is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

#7 Profetus

Profetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

I see. So then I should use Emisoft and MBAM and MBAE.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

That would be a good combination.

#9 Profetus

Profetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

Thank you for your help. This topic can be locked.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

You're welcome.