Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 BSOD, boot loop, Failed Automated Repair & Boot from Recovery USB/DVD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

I have a Satellite L645 I put together 4-5 months ago from the wreckage of it and a Satellite P745  Next, will be learning if swapping the CPU from P745 to the MOBO of the L645, but that will be another day

e043a2aa-52b7-4b73-a0ff-6ccd89cba7e2.jpg

I recently did a number of repairs on several PC's/Laptops that I restore/refurbish/rebuild to provide inexpensive units to those less financially fortunate.  After 30+ years in the IT industry, and now retired, I can return to computers as the hobby it began as.

While doing this latest bunch it appears I picked up a virus either from one of the harddrives in the wreckage, or from the online hunting & scrounging for parts, drivers, apps, etc.

WIN10 began, during booting up, telling me I needed to allow the Automated Repair to run, then changed its' mind and said to use the Recovery Media to repair the system.  I tried to force numerous incomplete boots to cause the options menu to appear, but to no avail.
20160924_202320.jpg

The errors progressed to the "a required device is missing or not accessible" when trying to boot from proven USB Recovery AND USB Win10 Install media.  The system tries to boot from the WIN10 DVD boot disk, but after a long wait, that too, fails.

These are the various BSOD screens:

"KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE."

20160924_200822.jpg

"PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA", and

20160924_200618.jpg

"SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED",

20160924_200858.jpg

In so many words, "LOOK ONLINE LATER FOR MEMORY MANAGEMENT." I really like that last one.

d4bd2982-32da-4ea3-9789-0806d091a843.png

But just now I got the scariest yet. I have lines of color in distorted patterns, but uniform, mind you.

Oops, again.
20160924_200431_1.jpg

Some errors only occur when trying to boot from the HD and Windows, going to "Repairing your PC", but never getting the Advanced Troubleshooting options.

I swapped out 4 harddrives, 2-Toshiba's and 2-WD, and all produce the same results. I have even REMOVED the HD and memory DDR3 dimms, and STILL get the same results, leading me to think the CMOS/BIOS is infected. 

With the HD removed, no USB thumb-drive, no DVD, and no memory DIMMS, where else is there that "simulate" the Windows Recovery screens and produce these errors?

I look forward to your response, suggestions and instructions on how to proceed, taking into account there are 4 harddrives to correct, and the Toshiba is not alone. I also have a Compaq CQ62 that behaves identically, under all the same configurations previously described.

You indicate in the previous reply I should follow the steps to produce the requested logs.  I would have attached them now, but don't know what utility to run, or what files from my system you might be referring to.  In reading while looking for a solution I could handle myself, I came across an Ubuntu boot tutorial that seems capable of booting a Windows system that is dysfunctional. How Clever!

Let me know what to do, Gary, and I'll get right on it.  

Let me say before we begin, that I have had the best experiences in all my years of PC & server support, end-user desktop support and network administration, when solving a problem of MINE on MY hardware, 
led by the capable, cool-headed, concise, precise, get-it-right-the-first-time-guys like yourself,
right here at www.bleepingcomputer.com

David Reed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

David, do you have any Puppy Linux DVD or USB boots?  I'm wondering if a Linux bypass might be needed to get things started.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

David, do you have any Puppy Linux DVD or USB boots?  I'm wondering if a Linux bypass might be needed to get things started.

I do not, but I'll google that to see what/how to make them.

I have USB boot thumb drives for Windows recovery, but the system refuses to accept that method.  It reports:

20160924_202320.jpg

The errors progressed to the "a required device is missing or not accessible" when trying to boot from proven USB Recovery AND USB Win10 Install media.
The system tries to boot from the WIN10 DVD boot disk, but after a long wait, that too, fails.  The system doesn't reject the DVD, it reads it forever, but then it just reboots.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that you will have to download the desired ISO and create such usb or dvd Puppy Linux on another [working] computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 September 2016 - 06:32 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that you will have to download the desired ISO and create such usb or dvd Puppy Linux on another [working] computer.

Yes, but understood.  Fortunately, I have  Dell INspiron M5030 suitable to the task.

I have just come from ibiblio.org, and reading up on it.  I have some fresh DVD's and the time to play for now.

I will attempt a trial and see how it boots on the Dell.

Where would one look to learn how to include a few utilities by adding them to the .iso before burning the disc?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

...Where would one look to learn how to include a few utilities by adding them to the .iso before burning the disc?

Dunno,  I have never tried to add utilities to such ISO burning projects.  Others in here can tell ya how to do so.

#7 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

I was successful in creating slacko puppy boot DVD and got to experience the wonders of a linux/windowed desktop. In fact, I'm posting from the built-in browser with Firefox at this time.
I will explore image burn to use to do what was once called streamline additional files into an existing ISO. In the days of XP this is how we would streamline a service pack into the original install ISO of XP thereby eliminating the need to install the service packs after the install of XP. They've got a new name for doing the same thing, it's vernacular nothing more.

However it occurred to me it may not be necessary to streamline the utilities into the slacko puppy ISO. We're able to place the save file on a USB stick keeping the iso bootup disk free of anything that would change it.

Therefore I assume the utilities needed once I learn what they are that I should run to produce the can be placed on a USB stick from my Dell and into the the Toshiba to obtain the logs once I learned what utilities to run as yet I have not been given those instructions.

Edited by OldGeekTweaker, 27 September 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#8 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

I was mistaken about already being hooked to an instructor/guide to assist with this issue.

So, to whom it may concern;

I await your appearance with anxious anticipation!

David

#9 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hi Jason!

Yes, I have the Linux boot DVD and am ready to proceed.

#10 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

Toshiba L645 Laptop

model - PSK0GU-0CT022

OS - Windows 10 Pro

· x64 

· OEM Windows 7 Home Premium from Toshiba
· Built in 2013?
· Upgraded to WIN10 4 months ago
  Intel Dual 2.1G something I can't recall

Intel HD Graphics Video Card

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Are you able to boot into Windows?

If not, were you able to boot from the Puppy Linux?

If you can boot from Windows, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

If you couldn't boot to Windows, but could get Puppy Linux up and running - please check in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory for files ending in .dmp

If there are any, please zip them up and upload them with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Are you able to boot into Windows?

If not, were you able to boot from the Puppy Linux?

If you can boot from Windows, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

If you couldn't boot to Windows, but could get Puppy Linux up and running - please check in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory for files ending in .dmp

If there are any, please zip them up and upload them with your next post.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

No, it will not boot into Windows, only to the screens you see in the OP regarding the various errors it produces.

It says it's going into repair & recovery, alternately, but never gets there, or if it does, says it can't fix it, use the recovery disks, or call the admin. Right!

I was able to boot into Puppy Linux, but I did not do anything with it. It was the first time I had seen it, I don't know what to do with it. So, I just exited.

I have the (1st) BSOD tool you speak of, but can't get into Windows run it.  Haven't been able to get back in since the first time the errors appeared.

I checked the C:\Windows\Minidump\ folder, but it is empty.  Is there a function in Puppy Linux I can perform to cause the minidump?

Or, is it empty because I did not create a "save" file on a USB, or save anything to the HD?

I have been able to boot with a REALLY old version of Hirens, but it only loads DOS or Win XP without even SP1.

Which really annoys me, because whatever is causing the error, will NOT allow the Windows Recovery or Windows Install boot disks to run, and Ik now both of them do work, as I tested them after creating them.

Of course, none of the utilities installed on the harddrive are of any use because they are all x64 Windows 10 versions.

And none that I have downloaded and stored are useful for the same reason.

I haven't up to now, but thought of the Windows utility scan(something) or sfc(?) but it's been so long since I used them, I was unsure what they might do that could interfere.

I am, however, able to copy my data from the drive to USB disks.  

It's a small comfort that I can restore the data in the event we are unable to determine the error and correct it.

So, I have no minidump and don't know what else to look for that might be there, but at least I can get in two ways to look around, and salvage my data.

With the Puppy Linux, or the Hirens, are there any XP versions of the WIndows utilities or otherwise that you would suggest trying?

If all else fails, I will blow away the partitions and rebuild, but am concerned there may be something in the BIOS that remains lurking to ruin my day.

Edited by OldGeekTweaker, 03 October 2016 - 11:54 PM.

#13 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

You got me curious.....

I searched the disk c:\ for *.dmp.

I found 662 files dated from 07-14-16 to 09-13-16, the day the problem began.

Of those, 242 are 0 byte.

The rest range in size from 116KB to 4461KB.

Of them all, FOUR are in a folder actually named minidumps, but in separate locations and neither under C:\Windows.

They are under C:\Users\My Uname\, in several application folders under the variations of \\Appdata\ and \\Application Data\.

C:\Users\My UName\AppData\Local OR Roaming\ Mozilla OR Google OR HTC Media Hub  OR

C:\Users\My UName\AppData\Local\Application Data\ Mozilla OR Google OR HTC Media Hub

The Three applications are: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome & HTC Media Hub.

TWO are the same size 740KB, and share the same timestamp; 09/13/2016 10:27AM

TWO more are likewise dated, but only 12KB in size, and have the extension .extra, not .dmp.

Their locations are below, and the other 

1) C:\Users\My Uname\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\My Profile hash.default\minidumps\bbb32431-b7e8-4491-8566-b6aa7ddfcee7.dmp

2) C:\Users\My Uname\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\My Profile hash.default\minidumps\bbb32431-b7e8-4491-8566-b6aa7ddfcee7.dmp

I am about to upload a .zip file (that contains other .zip files) that have examples of what might be the more pertinent .dmp files.

You be the judge, of course, because I haven't a clue how to open them, let alone read them.

Attached Files

#14 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:00 AM

The HTC Media Hub has me curious, too.

About the time this occurred, but many things were going on and my memory is not as crystal clear as it once was, I was doing, or trying to do some work to correct a severely infected HTC One M8 cellphone.  I was having trouble getting ADB to work at all, and then found some HTC drivers and some tips at htcdev.com.  I was able to get the laptop to recognize, or "see" the "device" using "minimal ADB & Fastboot".  Then the battery, which is only one of its' problems, crapped out and died, anad I switched focus to something else.  

MY curiosity is, that perhaps I caught a bug from the phone, that "it" fooled me into thinking it was not as communicative as it really was.

The symptoms are not the same, the phone is not caught in a bootloop, but is caught in a fanatical setup that fails. An Android applications update starts, then just disappears before completing. It then goes to the homescreen, and a series of x-rated apps to access videos are installed along with a number of games and offers galore of things to buy.  All this while popup errors appear about the Play Store, system functions with com.android.* names popup with errors, long hangs, deletion of applet icons I place on the homescreen, such as settings, complains it can't access the Play Store if you try, but is downloading 2-10 apps from it at the same time, open Chrome and it's Pandora's Box, 15-20 tabs all loading at once, click the X on each and try to close, and it your lucky, you'll enter barely 12 characters of an URL before it takes over with a fresh batch to kill, and yours is toast. etc., etc.

I'm not trying to figure it out to fix that, I just want to flash a new ROM and go from scratch, but I thought there might be a chance I caught the problem on the PC by using the Android Debugging Bridge on a known infected phone. Whether I can prove it or not does not matter.

Precautions against that method of entry as well as by internet browsing, emails, or files on a disk would be a wise move.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

In short, there's basically 2 types of crash dumps - kernel level and user level

I work with kernel level dumps - and avoid user level dumps like the plague (so I don't understand them very well)

I presume the Chrome, Mozilla, and HTC dumps are user level dumps

The OldGeekMinidump is also a user level dump; as are the dumps in the WDF folder

The WD folder contains WatchDog dumps - and, as usual, most of them show problems with your video

These are generally crashes that the video driver has recovered from (so you won't see a BSOD).

But, as you can't get into Windows - your options are limited:

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order):

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (but I've posted the Offline DISM steps in the next quote box below)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

Offline DISM:

DISM /Online should only be used when running from within Windows. Run this command instead:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Did you also try doing SFC scan while booting off of Recovery Environment or Install Disk? In those cases, the commands are slightly different:
sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users