Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PROTECTING COMPUTER FROM SPYWARE,MALWARE AND VIRUSES

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Bull6791

Bull6791

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:50 AM

What would be the best way to protect your computer from spyware,malware and viruses.
Any info and software suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2016 - 06:33 AM.
Moved from MRL to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

For the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections, see my comments (Post #3) in this topic...it includes prevention tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

In answer to your PM...I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as the backbone to supplementing anti-virus software. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend these programs.

#4 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Quietman7: to have your computer fully protected how many programs do you have to run. One anti virus program and one anti malware program or should you run more programs.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

You should not use more than one anti-virus program. Read the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware program will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners.

Please read the Note about using multiple anti-malware products in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

#6 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

Quietman7: should I use ESET NOD32 anti virus and Emsisoft anti malware together or use them separate. What kind of programs are each of theses.
I was going to supplement it with malawarebytes premium like you said.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus so there is no need to use another anti-virus solution. Older versions of EAM were specifically made for use with your existing anti-virus but that has changed and now it is considered an anti-virus program despite the use of anti-malware in it's name...see Emsisoft FAQs: Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"?.

ESET NOD32 is a trustworthy and effective antivirus solution which leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity and uses a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. Further, it does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers.

#8 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

Quietman7: from your write up, both of these programs are anti virus software. I want to only use on. Quietman of the two which on do you use.
Next, once I pick one of these programs I would want to pick an anti malware program to supplement it like you said. The Malwarebytes premium you said would be a good supplement.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

As I have noted in other topics...it is a difficult choice to make between ESET and EAM.

I personally use both of them, primarily so I can keep current on any new features, settings, etc in order to help others who have questions.

Each comes with a trial so you can test them separately and see what is best for you.

I can tell you that some of the employees involved with Emsisoft product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them.

At least three of the Emsisoft Team provide assistance to members here at Bleeping Computer. Fabian Wosar is a Security Developer and the head of Emsisoft's malware lab, GT500 is a Security Colleague and Elise is our Malware Study Hall Admin who oversees the Bleeping Computer Training Program.

No amount of money can buy such dedication and support.

Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free which I use too, works fine with either ESET or EAM.

#10 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Quietman7: I did not know you could use ESET and EAM together. I thought it would create a conflict.
How many security programs are you currently running on your computer.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

You shouldn't use two anti-virus solutions together because they can cause conflicts and other issues which the average user may not know how to deal with.

EAM is my primary anti-virus protection. ESET is there so I can keep current on any new features, settings, etc in order to help others who have questions. If a problem arises, I know what to look for and how to deal with it.

#12 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I probably should not use both programs in case of a conflict issue. You know how to Handle it. I probably would not.
Quietman: I used to use Norton anti virus but I got tired of how slow it would make my computer.

#13 Bull6791

Bull6791
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

Quietman: what is anti exploit software and why would people use it. Thanks

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit team up, doing different things.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576331/whats-the-difference-between-malwarebytes-and-malwarebytes-anti-exploit/

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/150506-anti-malware-premium-and-anti-exploit/

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/174837-whats-the-difference-between-malwarebytes-anti-malware-vs-anti-expoit/

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Quietman: what is anti exploit software and why would people use it. Thanks