Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Elitebook 6930p - Freezes when unplugged

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hello all,

I have a problem with a computer I got finished repairing a few days ago. It's an HP EliteBook 6930p.

What happens is if I unplug it, the computer will stop responding completely and there's nothing I can do aside from

using the power button to turn it off. I've tried starting on the battery only and it would freeze as soon as I get to the

desktop. 

Obviously, the battery is very important to a laptop and, to say the least, one does not simply only use a battery on AC power!  :lmao:

I've asked about this on three other forums and I've been unable to get a definitive answer... any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs:

HP EliteBook 6930p

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz

1GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)

And again, any help is greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

Doing a powercfg report may give you some hints as to the problem. Pay special attention to the battery section.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7638/use-powercfg-in-windows-7-to-evaluate-power-efficiency/

#3 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:34 PM

Okay, so I tried the powercfg report and it didn't say anything about the battery...

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report Computer Name TORI-PC Scan Time 2016-09-26T03:02:18Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Product Name HP EliteBook 6930p BIOS Date 12/08/2011 BIOS Version 68PCU Ver. F.20 OS Build 7601 Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile Plugged In true Process Count 64 Thread Count 785 Report GUID {44b5ca72-68fa-413a-909e-a2b49d1e07d9} Analysis Results Errors
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
A kernel component has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Mass Storage Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7 Device ID USB\VID_058F&PID_6387 Port Path 6
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Root Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7 Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_293A Port Path  
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 15.98
Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
Warnings
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name svchost.exe PID 920 Average Utilization (%) 3.80 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 2.46 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\esent.dll 0.41 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 0.29
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name explorer.exe PID 1928 Average Utilization (%) 2.76 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.82 \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.37 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.24
Process Name System PID 4 Average Utilization (%) 1.98 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 1.73 \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.06 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys 0.03
Process Name svchost.exe PID 884 Average Utilization (%) 0.80 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\sysmain.dll 0.65 \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.10 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 0.01
Process Name mbamservice.exe PID 1988 Average Utilization (%) 0.76 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.31 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.10 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll 0.07
Process Name mbam.exe PID 2136 Average Utilization (%) 0.62 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\imageformats\qgif.dll 0.15 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Qt5Core.dll 0.15 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.08
Process Name dwm.exe PID 1880 Average Utilization (%) 0.42 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\igd10umd32.dll 0.14 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.11 \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.03
Process Name audiodg.exe PID 1012 Average Utilization (%) 0.22 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Windows\System32\SFFXProc.dll 0.08 \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.07 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\AudioEng.dll 0.02
Process Name SynTPEnh.exe PID 2588 Average Utilization (%) 0.22 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.07 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.02 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe 0.01
Information
Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Power Saver Plan GUID {a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a}
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
Personality Power Saver
Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Optimize for Power Savings
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality Power Saver
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 02236 2009/11/29Hewlett-PackardPrimary Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard Serial Number 02236 2009/11/29 Chemistry LIon Long Term 1 Design Capacity 56610 Last Full Charge 41647
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported true S4 Sleep Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0 Index 0 Idle © State Count 2 Performance (P) State Count 4 Throttle (T) State Count 8
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0 Index 1 Idle © State Count 2 Performance (P) State Count 4 Throttle (T) State Count 8

Could this mean that something else could be at fault? What could it be if that's the case?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

I was expecting more from the battery info.

Using the command powercfg -energy

I got this for the battery section. I was looking for what capacity the battery has left to possibly hint at a charging issue.

Capture10.jpg

#5 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

Sorry about that...

Here's the battery information by itself:

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID 02236 2009/11/29Hewlett-PackardPrimary

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard 

Serial Number 02236 2009/11/29 

Chemistry LIon 

Long Term 1 

Design Capacity 56610

Last Full Charge 41647

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

The battery looks normal. Outside of doing a powercycle I am not sure what the problem is other than some type of hardware issue between the battery and motherboard. You may want to look at replacing the CMOS battery but I'm not entirely positive that would help.

Pull the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery but do not replace the power cord. Does the computer boot to the desktop without freezing?

If you tap F8 at boot and enter Safe Mode does pulling the power also result in freezing? HP has a diagnostic routine you can access by tapping Esc at boot.

Set your power configuration to High Performance and see if that changes anything.

You could eliminate the OS as being a source of the problem by booting a live Linux CD such as Linux Mint Cinnamon. Boot to the desktop and pull the power cord. If your computer freezes then you have a hardware issue you need to diagnose. If it doesn't freeze then there is some corruption in Windows going on.

That is about all the ideas I have.

#7 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:01 AM

I just got finished trying all of those, from the powercycle to Safe Mode, to High Performance, to booting from a live Linux CD.

Interestingly enough, the only time the computer didn't freeze was when I started it in safe mode on only the battery. 

I guess this really is a hardware issue. I'm just not sure if it's the hard drive, or the motherboard, or even anything else for that matter.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

If the computer did not freeze in Safe mode but did freeze with a Linux disk then I am not sure what is going on. It would seem not freezing in Safe Mode would not indicate a hardware problem. Very Strange.

Do a clean boot and see if that changes anything. Start enabling services and starup items until you get the freeze. 

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#9 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Okay, so I even tried clean booting. It froze right after the startup sound played, and it shut off about a minute later.

It didn't change anything...  :scratchhead:

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

This definitely seems to be a hardware problem. You ran the diagnostic by tapping Esc at boot correct?

#11 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

To answer your question, yes, I did run the diagnostics, and it passed both the memory test and hard drive tests.

If it isn't the memory or the hard drive that is at fault, I'm not sure what else it could be...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:20 AM

I think you may need to have this computer checked at a good repair shop. I don't understand why the computer does not have the problem in Safe Mode but at the same time fails using Linux that runs in RAM and from the CD/DVD only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users