Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sudden failure to install... almost everything.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zoomtictac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

I've been running XP Pro for years and years now. I know they ended support. That's fine, I wipe and reinstall almost annually, and no surfing or other questionable activity happens where I have a real concern in the meantime, I just get tired of disk thrashing with the cobwebs and such. Then again, I'm picky and sensitive to all that - just like my car. Regular maintenance is the best medicine.

So this started with my wife attempting to renew her Food Handlers card. Says "You need the most recent version of Flash". Fine. Go to download, click install, nothing. Hmm. Fight with that for a couple hours with different browsers, different Flash versions, such as Firefox and IE running different types of Java, attempt both, check Java. All fine, more or less, as long as the versions are legacy. Although I believe Java was up to date. However this card requires the latest version, and it won't install or even respond to the clicking on it IN ORDER to install the newest Flash.

I decide okay, this is odd, but it's been quite some time, so let's do a fresh OS anyway. Now, there are several things that will not install... almost as if I have been downloading x64 versions instead of x86 versions. Java won't install. Flash won't install. Internet Explorer mostly refuses to work, and is only slightly better with IE8 installed. Bittorrent, uTorrent, and a couple other variations will not install. And when I say all of these won't install, they won't even attempt to. No error, no hard disk activity. I haven't gone too terribly far with the list of items that no longer respond, as this is clearly a problem without further investigation.

I have not installed SP3 yet on this fresh OS install, in addition to any of the new fangled internet based runtime/distribution garbage (ie. silvercloud and such like that. I forget the other one, been around for years and years, versions like 3.5, 4.0... usually needed for advanced graphics games and fancy programs), even though I normally have it. Just giving info.

Why is XP suddenly crippled?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I believe you will find that not only Microsoft have washed their hands of XP, but many former providers of software for the system are rapidly dropping it like a hot potato.

XP is 15 yrs old.

It hasn't been officially supported for almost 2 1/2 yrs. Apparently, the staff of this very forum now officially consider it to be 'abandonware'.

It's horrendously out-of-date, security-wise, and.....

.....it was restricted, pretty much, to 32-bit operation. (64-bit XP was something of an afterthought; the biggest problem with it is lack of drivers.....a basic, system requirement for functionality.)

32-bit software is being abandoned by more and more software developers as the months tick by. 64-bit operation has been around for a long time. My own Compaq desktop PC (pre-HP 'takeover', so at least 11 years old) came with the very first 64-bit mainstream processor to hit the market in the early part of the last decade; the classic AMD Athlon64 (and even this had been released to market something like 18 months prior to that.) So you can say 12-13 years.

And I say all this as a fellow, former satisfied XP 'Pro' user.

I realised the writing was on the wall when it came to EOL. Since I didn't like any of the subsequent versions of Windows, I waved bye-bye to Microsoft, switched almost overnight to running Linux, and haven't looked back since. No half-hearted attempts to try and learn a new way of doing things while at the same time keeoing an elderly, mostly unsupported (and dangerously leaky) OS going; I bit the bullet, and dived head-first into the deep end...

Unfortunately, you will find, with subsequent attempts to re-install, that eventually all you will get is the bare system. You won't be able to get any software to install (unless you're content running out-of-date, legacy software). Which with Windows, is like playing Russian roulette with the modern internet; very dodgy. It will, at that point, have been abandoned by literally everyone. You sooner or later just have to accept that it's time to say goodbye, and move on. And start the uphill slog of learning new ways of doing things.....

Sorry not to be more constructive, but there's not much in the way of cheerful advice to post about XP these days.

I now run 'Puppy' Linux exclusively, and develop and re-package software for the Puppy community. Who actively encourage everyone to contribute, in whatever way they can...

It's a very refreshing change from years of being 'locked-in' to the MyCrudSoft way of doing things!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 September 2016 - 07:29 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

#3 hamluis

• 55,014 posts
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

If you haven't installed SP3...and all subsequent security updates...IMO, you have a crippled XP install that may not function properly.  The crippling is not sudden, it has taken place systematically...XP, SP1, SP2, SP3, all critical updates (including some which relate to MS.NET, a critical component needed for some programs to operate.

AV support for XP...website support for XP...these things have been withdrawn over the last 2 years.

That being said, you need to start with the installation of SP3, assuming that you have an install with at least SP1a now.  Then you need to install IE8.

This system runs XP, SP3 with no problems other than those which I expect (inability to access various websites).  I don't have a malware problem and never have...but I don't torrent and I'm always aware that I am the biggest security hole in running XP without a malware problem.

#4 zoomtictac

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:02 PM

Perfect. And not sarcastically.

I suspected this may be the issue, but I was adament to hear it from other users - including those that still successfully ran XP Pro. Thanks for your input, guys. Maybe I'll look into Ubuntu for this old relic...

Consider this thread CLOSED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users