Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AP With Same SSID

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jo15765

jo15765

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Greetings - I have the Netgear WNDR4300 as my primary router, broadcasting a 5G network a guest 5G network, a non 5G network and a guest non 5G network. My secondary router set-up as an AP is a Belkin N F5D8236-4, and I have a powerline ethernet adapter plugged into port 4 of my Netgear and the second powerline ethernet adapter plugged into port 1 (the 1st port not labeled modem) of my Belkin.  I have the same SSID, encryption type, channel and password setp-up as my Netgear however no devices will ever switch to the AP even though it has a stronger signal.  If I change the SSID of of my AP to something different than my Netgear then devices will switch to it no problem!  

What is it that is preventing my devices from switching over to the AP when it has a stronger signal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

You need to change your roaming options on the laptop and every wireless devices connecting. See here for more info.

"If a client device is having trouble roaming (e.g., hanging on to an AP too long), it may be desireable to toggle the device's roaming aggressiveness to a higher setting. The screen shot below shows where this parameter can be set on a Windows 7 laptop."

Also make sure the Netgear router and Belkin AP are on different Wifi channels.

Edited by Trikein, 24 September 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#3 jo15765

jo15765
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

You need to change your roaming options on the laptop and every wireless devices connecting. See here for more info.

"If a client device is having trouble roaming (e.g., hanging on to an AP too long), it may be desireable to toggle the device's roaming aggressiveness to a higher setting. The screen shot below shows where this parameter can be set on a Windows 7 laptop."

Also make sure the Netgear router and Belkin AP are on different Wifi channels.

The tutorial I read stated they should be on the same channel.  I'll start with switching the WiFi Channel and see if that will work, as the bulk of the problem exists between smartphones.

Does it matter if I pick a 5G or non 5G SSID to share with the AP?  For routers like my Netgear that can broadcast multiple SSID, if you are setting up an AP does it matter which one you pick to set as the SSID for your AP?

Edited by jo15765, 24 September 2016 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users