Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv7 - Boots with no display

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brentalous

brentalous

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

Laptop model: HP Pavilion dv7t-6b00

Issue: Friend just came back from Europe with his laptop and it's been randomly shutting down and when trying to power it back on, everything appears to be booting up with the exception of the display. Fan spinning, keyboard lights on, no blink codes. Now, since he's brought it to me, I can't get it ever to boot with display. It's always a blank screen now. 

What I've done: Popped out battery, held power button for 45-60 seconds, plugged in cord (no battery) and tried to boot. Swapped both RAM sticks, as well as one at a time, in both slots. Plugged in external display via HDMI, without any luck displaying on external display.

I've been Googling the crap outta this and some say it might be the inverter that needs replacing, others say it's the motherboard that needs replacing. Just wanted to jump on here to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I go pulling the guts out of this thing.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Can you get into the Bios ?

Pull the Drive out and see if Bios can Post ,  on screen or external Monitor , if it cant then its mobo issue or firmware.

If it does Post on External Monitor - it may be the invertor.

If you can get Bios to Post on both , it will be the HDrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users