Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My windows 10 laptop does not detect my Transcend 1TB externalHDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 polar959

polar959

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

SO I have a 1 TB Transcend Hard disk and it use to work perfectly flawless before I updated my windows 10 now after I have updated my windows 10 my laptop does not detect my Hard disk I can see it in my disk Management but can't change the disk letter so that specific solution is useless. Also I have checked on my other laptop with windows 10 and the hard disk is detected there and works fine.[/size]

Please help as I don't want to format the hard disk I don't have enough space in my other laptop to backup all the data that is in my hard disk and neither do I have money right now to buy the new hard disk and transfer all stuff there so can you provide a solution for it?[/size]

For more information please refer the pictures.  Mod Edit:  Graphics/links to another website removed with consent of OP - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2016 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

When you attach the drive to your other computer is it detected?

If you click on the approx 250GB partition that shows as healthy to select it then right click does it allow you to assign a drive letter. The other three partitions show as unallocated. Do you remember what those partitions were listed as before you updated to Windows 10? Was the transcend drive attached during the upgrade to Windows 10? 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

Since you have an open topic in the Windows 10 forum at another website...we ask that you continue your topic there.  Posting at multiple websites will typically lead to confustion and misunderstanding...based on the premise that personnel making suggestions are unaware that others at another website are also making suggestions.

This topic is now closed.

If you still have issues after personnel at the other website have made all contributions that they can, just return here and open a new topic in the appropriate forum.

Louis

Topic reopened after links in Post #1 were removed.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#4 polar959

polar959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

When you attach the drive to your other computer is it detected?

If you click on the approx 250GB partition that shows as healthy to select it then right click does it allow you to assign a drive letter. The other three partitions show as unallocated. Do you remember what those partitions were listed as before you updated to Windows 10? Was the transcend drive attached during the upgrade to Windows 10? 

No it does not let me assign one. I do not actually remember. When I put the hard disk in my other computer I do not see any other partition I just see one Local disk E: 951 gb just one icon no partitions in my computer. The transcend drive wasn't attached during the time of upgrading to windows 10 as I have kept it at auto update

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

When the drive is attached to the other computer what is listed in Disk Management? Does it say RAW or not initialized?

#6 polar959

polar959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

When the drive is attached to the other computer what is listed in Disk Management? Does it say RAW or not initialized?

It says nothing it says online and the partitions are called unallocated and one of them is Healthy (primary Partition).

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

On the other computer download Partition Wizard. Do a quick scan using the Partition Recovery Wizard. Does it detect anything after the quick scan? If it does double click each partition it finds. Does it detect all your files? If nothing is found then do a full scan which will take a long time on a 1TB drive.

#8 polar959

polar959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

On the other computer download Partition Wizard. Do a quick scan using the Partition Recovery Wizard. Does it detect anything after the quick scan? If it does double click each partition it finds. Does it detect all your files? If nothing is found then do a full scan which will take a long time on a 1TB drive.

So in my second computer I see that I can access my hard disk and use copy and paste and use all of that is inside it and it has 560gb free of 931 gb that is what all shown in my computer!!

Now in the partition wizard tool that you said I must install I see that it shows that my hard disk  is all empty as if 931 gb unused of 931 gb. and also it does not show any kind of partition in my second computer which is the same for my computer which I am having problems with .

But in the disk management of my second computer I do not see partitions( just one partition which is 931 gigs big) which I don'tsee in my computer which has problems.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

So in my second computer I see that I can access my hard disk and use copy and paste and use all of that is inside it and it has 560gb free of 931 gb that is what all shown in my computer!!

Have you been able to copy all the data off the 1TB drive on your other computer?

#10 polar959

polar959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Have you been able to copy all the data off the 1TB drive on your other computer?

I cannot transfer all at the same time as the data in it is larger than the space I have in my other laptop but I thought just like you and tried to transfer the data one by one and then putting them back to the hard disk and it works completely fine I mean I can do anything with my anydata and none of which is corrupted so that this would happen also I tried this on a windows 10 computer at my school as I thought maybe something might not be okay and it worked there completely okay although I wasn't able to transfer all the data there as it was a school.

Note:- This problem happened to me after I updated my laptop through windows update to a newer build of windows 10 like the night before I was able to access it but from the day after update I can't access it!

Edited by polar959, 07 October 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Once you recover all your data I recommend you wipe the drive and then reformat.

#12 polar959

polar959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

Once you recover all your data I recommend you wipe the drive and then reformat.

but the problem is I cannot recover all my data I don't have that much space to recover all my data somewhere else that's the reason why I don't want to format it!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Sorry, I misinterpreted your answer. The only thing I can recommend is to purchase another drive when your budget allows. Your only other solution would be to upload data to the cloud. Google drive gives you 15GB free per account. I know it's kind of a kludge but that is the only idea I have.

You can pay for extra storage per month. 

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/save-more-with-google-drive.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 October 2016 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users