Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do More Cookies Enter Every Time A Page Refreshes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

As an experiment, I set up my laptop on My Yahoo home page, using Firefox for a browser, with a refresh rate of once every 90 seconds, and left it on overnight without clicking on a single news article or other link. In the morning I ran C Cleaner and found 184 cookies in Firefox. I should mention that I also ran C Cleaner before opening Firefox and cleaned out the unwanted cookies. Do more cookies enter every time I refresh the page even though I'm not clicking on any links? Would refreshing less often result in fewer cookies? I know they're not inherently bad but I'd rather not invite more tracking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

When checking how many Yahoo cookies I have for their email and others they assign for each category on their news reader/ home page...there are 13 Yahoo cookies. I've

read several of the news items there this morning. So, if you click on any of the articles that are not Yahoo originals then you will have cookies installed from those sites as well.

Firefox has toyed with the idea of blocking Third party cookies by default. But I know some sites require allowing ads to view content or play games. The vast majority doesn't as of

now.

You can block the install of Third Party cookies...aka...ad/ tracking cookies. Once you have blocked from installing...run CCleaner to remove the ones presently installed.

You will still get first party cookies when visiting new sites. Some of those may track you, too. Such as Amazon and Google.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

If you haven't installed an ad blocker in Firefox or Chrome if you have that, too....then I recommend Adblock Plus...used it for many years.

NoScript is another add-on I would recommend. It takes some time to learn to use it but well worth it.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

Ok. Thanks, but you mentioned  "if you click on any of the articles that are not Yahoo originals..." I said at the outset that it ran through the night, refreshing every 90 seconds, with no one clicking on anything and amassing 184 cookies. My original question: Do cookies amass simply due to refreshing when no one clicks on anything?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Must have done just that...if there is no other reason. You will see a big difference in cookie count once you have blocked them per the link I provided.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

I'll run the "experiment" again. I have instructed Firefox not to accept 3rd party cookies. Incidentally, I also have been a fan of Ad Block Plus and have used it for years. That and Flashblock are indispensable to me.  Thanks for your input.

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

I've returned after running my laptop as stated above for two days in a row and 13 cookies it is. Thanks again.

I don't suppose you have any idea how I could clear Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files and History upon closing, do you? That's something else that takes forever when running C Cleaner. IE isn't even an active browser on my laptop. I know it's in there and I can't delete it but it somehow gets involved even though I don't call upon it to do anything and I don't even have an IE icon. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it and assign its duties to another browser.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

I know you can delete the IE temporary files and cookies manually or use a program such as CCleaner. I'm not aware of any way to have them

deleted by shutting down the computer.

Automatically delete the Temporary Internet Files folder upon closing Internet Explorer

How to change the maximum size of the Temporary Internet Files

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

I tried to follow the How to Change the Maximum Size.... link but when I "click Tools and then Internet Options . Under the tab General, category Temporary Internet files, click Settings", there is no Temporary Internet category under the General tab. Nothing about Temp files is mentioned.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

That howto must be for a version other than IE 11. I don't use Windows so I can't confirm but it looks like that option is not available in 11.

But I did find this which might be of use to you. It will empty the cached files in IE 11.

Force Refresh Internet Explorer 11

Usually a "force refresh" is enough. You can achieve this by pressing the following key combination:
Ctrl + F5

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Ok. Thanks for your assistance. One final question: Is there a way to shut down Internet Explorer completely and have whatever role it plays assumed by another browser? I don't use it for anything but it gets involved anyway.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

I don't think so. Others are following this. Perhaps someone else may offer a suggestion.

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Ok. Thanks anyway for your assistance and for sharing your expertise. It's greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users