Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation CD Integrity Check - Ubuntu / Mint

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

With this many problems I wonder if you checked if you got a good download? If not then you can check the install media. I think it is the same in Mint:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck

Has anyone gotten this to work via a USB flash drive?

I followed the basic Ubuntu instructions:

• Insert your Ubuntu CD into the drive of the computer that you want to run/install Ubuntu onto.
  • Turn the computer on, or restart the computer.
  • While booting from the CD, hold any key to access the CD menu.

And since I can't find the "Any" key, I just tap the space bar once.

Then I see the menu... (image attached)

I scroll down to the "Integrity Check" option and hit enter.

My screen turns gray. Flickers for a second. Then a few lines of text appear in the upper left-corner of the screen. Another few flickers... And finally the screen goes black with a Linux Mint logo in the center. This is where things seem to go south. The light on the USB flash drive begins flashing on/off at a constant tempo - and that's it. Nothing else ever happens until I CTRL-ALT-DEL to try again.

Same result every time I try this. I've let it sit for up to an hour before restarting. I haven't tried it with a CD because at least two of my machines don't even have an optical drive, so I do mostly everything via USB these days. But USB doesn't seem to like having an integrity check performed on it.

Has anyone else done this check via USB?

* The attached image is actually for a Linux Mint 13 menu, but the Linux Mint 17.3 MATE 64-bit menu looks identical otherwise.

Attached Files

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

Good work Jeremy_C.  

I have not done it via USB but can try it out for you today sometime.  I suspect that this is your issue, because I think it should work the same as DVD.  I advised someone to do this recently on another board and he had all kinds of Errors, and came to find out that all his iso's were corrupted, bad downloads, he was using DVD's though.  If you still have the iso we could Hash that also if you want. Gimme a few hours and I'll try it, or maybe someone else will help out.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 September 2016 - 08:20 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

Appreciate the assistance!

I don't have the original ISO because it was on XP when I used Pendrive to get it on the USB drive - and XP was recently nuked due to an EBCK (Error Between Chair and Keyboard.)

I was thinking about checking out Cinnamon, anyway. So, this might be a good reason. But I won't do anything until we finish this experiment - good for my experience and it might help someone else later.

I'll be AFK for about 24 hours, but I look forward to seeing what the results are.

Thanks for the help!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

"Integrity Check" worked fine, Mint Mate 17.1 created with Rufus, on my HP Laptop.

I saw this also, but then it just asked me to restart when it was done doing the "test":

"My screen turns gray. Flickers for a second. Then a few lines of text appear in the upper left-corner of the screen."

Do you have another good pc to download on, and if so check out "Down Them All" Firefox Download Manager Extension.  You can insert the md5sum or SHAsum of your choice and it will check it on download, and if there is a skip in the download process it will pause until the connection is re-established.  Whatever you want to try is fine with me.  There are also Hash Checkers available for Windows.  I guess you could do it on this laptop also, I forget if you have another.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 September 2016 - 11:42 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:24 AM

Okay, I D/L Mint Cinnamon 64-bit, verified the hash, tossed it on a different flash drive with the USB writer in Mint, plugged the USB in to a Netbook (also running Mint) and tried the Integrity Check option. It flashed the screen gray, cycled through a whole bunch of file names (something that didn't happen with the other USB with MATE on it) and finally ended with a message about rebooting the machine.

So, nothing like the first attempt on the other flash drive. The files scanned really quick, though some took as long as a minute or so per file, and there were no error codes or messages at the end - just a message to reboot the machine.

Next, I tried to run Integrity Check on the first flash drive (Mint MATE 64-bit) on the Netbook. Gray screen, some text, and then frozen with Mint logo in middle of the screen.

I can only conclude that you were right on the money with the suspicion about the other flash drive possibly having corrupt files (or maybe the other USB is corrupt in some sense.) Either way, I chucked that first flash drive in the trash. And since I've got Cinnamon on the the other flash drive already, I'm going to take a shot at installing that on the desktop system some time later today and see how that runs on there.

I'll update this again later after the install. Thanks for the help!

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Sounds good

I chucked that first flash drive in the trash. 

I would have reused that USB and tested it again as I believe you just had a bad download, or something?  

I would also NOT use the Mint USB Creator, especially from a broken machine.  

Maybe the issue with the first download was from Downloading on a Broken XP machine.  IMO use good working machines for this type of thing, or anything, you will waste less of your time and effort.  As I understand you have Windows 7, use that, or the Ubuntu side.  There is no big security risk downloading Mint iso's, so I suggest again to do it from a healthy machine.

If you are using windows 7, one of the best USB Creators is UUI

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

If using Linux, you can use Unetbootin, install it from the Software Manager.

Edited by pcpunk, 26 September 2016 - 09:38 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Bah, the USB flash drive was a cheap little 2 GB POS that my wife brought home from work as left over promotional items they used at some event last year. I had about 50 of the things, and at least 10 of them were no good right off the bat. Just been burning through them, giving 'em away, whatever. Not exactly Kangaroo or IronKey. :P

I used Pendrive when I made the first USB drive, very nice and light. Liked that one alot. If I make any more I'll just go ahead and use that, then. Save myself some future headaches.

Well, funny thing... As I read your advice, I'm already half-way through the updates on Mint Cinnamon 17.3. If something goes south, I will use Win7 for the re-do. But for now, it seemed to pass its own integrity check and it installed very nicely so far.

Only thing I'm bummin over is - why didn't I try Cinnamon from the get go?!?! This version of Mint is so much more responsive, so much more friendly, so much more... Everything! Even little things that I couldn't get to play nice or even work in MATE are just doing back-flips for me right now. And like I said (And I don't know if this had to do with corrupt files or the install or what) but Cinnamon in just so much more RESPONSIVE!

So far, so good with the integrity check and the install. Loving Cinnamon! Hope my luck keeps up.

Again, really appreciate all the help and advice!

Edited by Jeremy_C, 26 September 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

it seemed to pass its own integrity check and it installed very nicely so far.

That's the important part, and yes, the Integrity Test should go as you described, sorry forgot that one.

And like I said (And I don't know if this had to do with corrupt files or the install or what) but Cinnamon in just so much more RESPONSIVE!

Yes, almost surely the Botched files making it slow.  I think they are about the same as far as speed goes.  Either way they are both good.

Again, really appreciate all the help and advice!

No worries mate, hope it is a success for you.

Edited by pcpunk, 26 September 2016 - 08:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Okay, I D/L Mint Cinnamon 64-bit, verified the hash tossed it on a different flash drive with the USB writer in Mint, plugged the USB in to a Netbook (also running Mint) and tried the Integrity Check option.

Did the hash check out ok? If so then you are done. There is no need to do it twice.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Did the hash check out ok? If so then you are done. There is no need to do it twice.

Yes, sir! Checking it twice (I assume that's what you meant) was more about making sure that the integrity check would also work on one flash drive and not the other. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that maybe the integrity check didn't work the first time because of the computer itself. Not sure why (or even if) that could be the case, but it seemed like a good idea to rule out the possibility.

Either way, I'm glad this all happened because it turns out that I like the interface and some of the options in Cinnamon a little better than MATE, anyway. There's not a lot of differences in how they work or appear, but just a few subtle things I like now.

Most important, I'm simply loving learning about Linux!

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Yes, sir! Checking it twice (I assume that's what you meant) was more about making sure that the integrity check would also work on one flash drive and not the other. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that maybe the integrity check didn't work the first time because of the computer itself. Not sure why (or even if) that could be the case, but it seemed like a good idea to rule out the possibility.

I understood, that's how we learn, play around and test things out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users