Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the truth about Windows Defender and Windows Security Essentials?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:50 AM

I am confused, so asking here.  Is Windows Security Essentials on Windows 10 an obsolete name for what is now called Windows Defender?  Could or should someone download and install MSE onto a Windows 10 computer as an alternative to other commercial Security & Protection Anti-Infection products?  If a person does this, then has he two forms of either MSE, or of W.Defender and they being redundant will interfere with each other?  

I do NOT understand after seeing and reading these:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/is-microsoft-security-essentials-good-for-windows/d631f1a2-eaf1-4c83-bac7-022bb87cb14c

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17786/help-keep-your-pc-safe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

I just found this article:

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/388783-difference-between-wndows-security-essentials-windows-defender.html

If I correctly understand, Windows 10 includes "Windows Defender", which is the new name for what was called "Microsoft Security Essentials".  MSE includes antivirus and anti-malware.

Does this mean that My new Windows 10 computer having Windows Defender running and up-to-date, and having Windows Firewall running, is fully protected?  No need for installing a commercial or retail Security and Protection program?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. Although it uses the same name, Windows Defender 8/10 it is not the same as the older version of Defender found in previous operating systems (Windows 7/Vista) which was an anti-malware (anti-spyware) program intended to supplement your anti-virus (not replace it).

If you use Windows 8/10 Defender as your primary anti-virus, there is no need to install another anti-virus solution.Windows Defender works automatically with Windows Update to ensure that your virus and spyware definitions are kept up to date. Windows Defender auto-updates once every 24 hours and gets defintion updates via Windows Update if you have that feature set to "Download and install updates automatically". Updates will not occur automatically if Windows Update is set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" or "Never check for updates (not recommended)". See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can also manually download definition updates (32-bit or 64-bit) from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center.

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled automatically by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, Webroot, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled.

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups...read Is Windows Defender Good Enough.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read these topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users