Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up files only

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I currently only want to back up important files like  (photos, music, documents) in case of a hard drive failure. I would NOT want a complete restore, but rather do a clean install with a new hard drive in the event of a hard drive or motherboard failure. I periodically back these files to DVD. I also don't want a mirrored raid or use any cloud storage. Making backups to DVD creates a lot of DVD's. What is your thoughts on having a second internal hard drive just for backing up my important files to instead of using DVD's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Your ideas are aok!  Purchase a usb 2-3TB external hard-drive, download and install Macrium Reflect or anything similar, and simply copy your data folders and files  perhaps once or twice weekly.  You will have to create a restore boot DVD just once -- in case a big-time restore is needed.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 September 2016 - 01:09 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thank for the speedy reply. I have already created a bootable DVD for Win10. I think a complete clean install is the better way than a restore. I have the time for that. You suggested a usb external drive, I was thinking of a internal drive so as not having it sit out getting knocked around and being faster. I have NO problems installing components. Your thoughts ?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:06 PM

An internal HD will be fine!  I only suggested an external HD because if it is only plugged in during backup, the likelihood of ransom-ware, data-related malware entering will be much less.  Otherwise, you're good to go.  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

OK--------- so--- I will be using a second internal hard drive for backing up my files I don't want to lose. I like the idea of having it backed up automatically so I am going to use the " Back up using File History " in Windows 10. It will allow me to chose what files to back up and how often to automatically do the backup. Once I have initially backed up my files It will only copy new or changed information in my backed up files after that. Any thoughts???    :busy:

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

Keep us posted as to the progress of Windows 10's File History backup.  I hope you can restore if the need ever arises.  The only sure restores I have done were done with:  Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows.  You are a brave person, I stay too much on the cautious side of things  :)

#7 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

Backup in windows 10 is no cost. Macrium Reflect is $70.00   :scratchhead:  

To restore my files in my backup I can always just do a copy paste from my backup file history if all else fails.

So I'm going to toy with it. :thumbsup2: wish me luck.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:16 PM

Backup in windows 10 is no cost. Macrium Reflect is $70.00   :scratchhead:

There is a free version...as long as you don't need support and can live with its more limited feature set:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

#9 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

I have the free version but file and folder backups are not available in the free edition of Macrium Reflect. :thumbdown:

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:56 AM

Thank for the speedy reply. I have already created a bootable DVD for Win10. I think a complete clean install is the better way than a restore. I have the time for that. You suggested a usb external drive, I was thinking of a internal drive so as not having it sit out getting knocked around and being faster. I have NO problems installing components. Your thoughts ?

Suppose your system is freshly installed, and then you spent many hours reinstalling all of your favorite utilities/applications/games; why would you prefer NOT to have an image of it in this perfect state and instead be forced to download and/or reinstall all applications again in the event of a a simple drive failure? (Just trying to understand the mindset....)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

Suppose your system is freshly installed, and then you spent many hours reinstalling all of your favorite utilities/applications/games; why would you prefer NOT to have an image of it in this perfect state and instead be forced to download and/or reinstall all applications again in the event of a a simple drive failure? (Just trying to understand the mindset....)

My system is never static, it is constantly evolving and growing.

its like never cleaning out the garage until its so full of crap its just better to burn it down :flamethrower:  and stat completely fresh.

Not something I would do until I had to.

So I don't want things like I had them before.

I would rather start fresh with new ideas on how I now want things set up.

#12 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

I currently only want to back up important files like  (photos, music, documents) in case of a hard drive failure.  Making backups to DVD creates a lot of DVD's. What is your thoughts on having a second internal hard drive just for backing up my important files to instead of using DVD's?

Easier is better...buy external drive and copy all what you need into it using e.g. file manager like FreeCommander...then after some time use feature from menu "Folder/synchronise (Alt+S)" - FC in first step compares "from" location with "to" location and gives you results what is new, was was changed etc. You just click and everything is copied to new destination. This free solution, easy to use but only on demand...you of course can use some others specific apps for synchronise files.

Why is better use external drive?...because of cryptomalware which is able to encrypt all reachable drives in machine...so you new internal drive for copies is automaticly vulnerable to attack.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#13 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

The only way to be 100% shure you have a clean virus free system is to do a complete format and reinstall your operating system and start from scratch.

Your image backups can contain malware and viruses.

It isn't a good practice to be lazy.

After reformatting and reinstalling everything, your system will benefit with a performance boost.

Your system will boot up faster also.

So-----do I want to install a backup image I have been running for two or three years or would I want a brand new clean system?

Edited by Teddy1, 27 October 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#14 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

@Teddy1

I'm not sure but if you are talking to me I think there is some misunderstanding. You asked about private files backup so I gave you my idea how to do it. System backup is different matter as private documents although can be realised by the same apps. If you want you can read this thread about...also mine...conception of system backup/reverting.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628653/opnions-on-shadow-defender/

BTW...I'm using for system backup Keriver 1-Click..on two machines since few years :)

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

Aomei Backupper Free and Easeus Todo Backup Free both have file/folder backup but Easeus's file/folder backup is easier to use because of the way files/folders are selected. Both allow incremental/differential backup along with the ability to schedule backups.

But from your post #5 it seems you are doing well with Windows 10 file history.

Comodo Backup is another nice file/folder backup. It is listed as Comodo Online Backup  but you do not need to register a cloud account to use it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 November 2016 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users