Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 And Cumulative Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

Well October is on the horizon and we are about to have cumulative updates from 'patch Tuesday' forced upon us. (unless you choose otherwise).

I for one am not very happy that MS has chosen to force users to either download all or none as described in this article:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3123113/windows-pcs/impending-cumulative-updates-unnerve-windows-patch-experts.html?ref=yfp

So there will be no choices to download or not if you want security updates for your system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

You will be able to download  Security Only rollups for Windows 7 using the Microsoft Update Catalog.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

You will be able to download  Security Only rollups for Windows 7 using the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Never had to do that before !! How involved is that? You have to go through all the updates and decide which ones apply to your system? I don't like these rollups because there is no transparency as to what you are downloading. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just another reason for utilizing Linux more and more.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

I am not sure how it will work as I have never done it before either but from what I read it's my understanding that each month will have a security rollup package. All Security Updates will be in one downloadable file. I am not sure if it will cumulative or each month will have it's own rollup. 

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-shifting-monthly-patch-update-model-windows-7-and-81

Lastly, Microsoft says that it will also push a monthly "Security-only" update that will only contain security patches for that month. This will be released separately from Windows Update via WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 September 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

Microsoft is rationalizing this as a means of making sure that everyone has the "needed" updates.  Microsoft implies that by being selective about which updates you install leads to potential problems caused by "fragmenting" the updates.

One of the downsides I see in this is that when Microsoft releases a update that breaks your computer you have no way of knowing which update has caused this and will not have the option to uninstall the specific update.

One of my concerns is that Microsoft will now determine what "suggested" updates you should have along with the important updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

One of my concerns is that Microsoft will now determine what "suggested" updates you should have along with the important updates.

Including all those Windows 7 telemetry updates.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

I don't even want to get started on that topic.  I got rid of everything related to Google for the same reason, big brother is watching!  A little over dramatic, but you get the point.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Microsoft is rationalizing this as a means of making sure that everyone has the "needed" updates.  Microsoft implies that by being selective about which updates you install leads to potential problems caused by "fragmenting" the updates.

One of the downsides I see in this is that when Microsoft releases a update that breaks your computer you have no way of knowing which update has caused this and will not have the option to uninstall the specific update.

Well, I certainly echo those concerns as well. Just have to wait and see.

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:31 AM

- It's possible to get the Security Updates without the "Optional" updates. But those "Security Only" updates won't be offered through the regular "Windows Update" feature. One has to go out and make an effort to find those "Security Updates".

Source:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users