Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware Finding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:28 AM

hello, if i should take this to an adaware forum, please let me know...but I usually surf this board for information, so I thought I'd post here first.

My adaware program program keeps finding the same thing, which is an lableled as an IE cookie...(my name)@live365.com. I keep removing it, and it's ok for a while, but always seems to return. Any suggestions on how to prevent this thing from re-seeding? thanks.

i always use firefox and rarely use IE. I use win xp, adaware, avg free, spybot (no infections), spyware blaster, and kerio firewall.

thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

Another way to look at this is whether you trust 356Live with whatever information they are collecting. They may, for example, be doing no more than aggregating user choices. See their privacy notice:
http://www.live365.com/w3c/policy.html
Restricting cookies from that site may make some parts of the site not function properly.

Remember that different companies have different criteria of what constitutes spyware, and some companies may be "stricter" about certain things than others.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:57 PM

it's pretty funny because I've never signed up for 365live. Unless they are associated with one of the live streams I view.

thanks for your responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users