Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guru-By-Remote

Guru-By-Remote

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

Greetings,

I am completely lost and will paypal anyone with the correct answer. We are a repair shop been in business for 32 Years. We have a windows xp pro machine in here that is used for a milling company. The software that runs this machine is uber expensive, So formatting a starting over is not an option.

The Machine Is: Dell Precision T3400 

It has New tested and known good ram 4 GB

It has an Acronis Image of the original HD (for testing purposes only) in it

It will boot and run to another Hard drive ... Making me pretty certain there is an issue with the OS it's self.

When I try to turn it on the following sequence happens every time:

Windows XP logo comes up and then a black screen with no cursor

Here is what happens when you try to go into safemode ...it fails

Safemode with networking ... Same fail

Last Known Good ..fail

Enable VGA mode ...fail

start windows normally ..fail

--------------------------------------------

Now for with a Windows XP pro cd in the drive

boots up to first screen ... tap the letter R

it asks what drive  answer:1

it asks for password to admin: answer press enter

Then I have command prompt : I type in chkdsk /r press enter

it successfully does it no errors

I then Typed in Fix mbr..It says it had a non standard MBR and asked if I wanted to fix it I said yes...

then it reported that it was fixed

Then I typed in fix boot.... it asked if I wanted to do that sure why not!

It said it was done

I then typed shutdown -r

the computer rebooted

-------------------------------------- \

I then attempted to boot with the same results...

I then rebooted to the windows cd again ..this time going to the next screen to repair windows... The option was not there....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I then booted using Hirums Boot Cd.... I chose mini windows xp

I then navigated to the troubled drive and then went to system folder and there was no restore points there

I then navigated to C:\windows\system32\config

There was save files in there but only 3 of the five . I took the 5 files (system, sam, security, software, default) and cut them into a new folder I created.

I then renamed  the sav files as the original

I exited and tried to restart------------

-=------------------------------------

Still wont boot..WHAT HAVE I MISSED? ......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

The NTFS file system may be corrupt/damaged.  AFAIK, the only way to repair it (not files) is to reformat/repartition/reinstall.  I am not saying that's your problem, just one of the possibilities.

Me...I would check the functional status of the original hard drive...a clone of a troubled drive/partition...IME, it's garbage in, garbage out.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

I believe Dell allows you to do a System Diagnosis by tapping F12 at boot. It should allow you to test your hard drive.

What was your backup plan should the drive fail?

Am I correct in understanding you cannot use the Acronis Image on the drive to do a restore to a new drive. The image does not include your software. 

Is this computer connected to the internet?

#4 Guru-By-Remote

Guru-By-Remote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the responses, I believe I stated earlier that I did a (actually 2) disk Checks chkdsk /r/ f from the xp install media..was clean 2x

and JohnC_21 my backup plan or the customers?...(if customer, had no I plan ...then I was the plan) LOL  My plan is always the same! I check the disk  for errors and Acronis image it and work off of the imaged drive. that way I can't do more harm than good.

Yes you are correct dell does have a diagnostic mode (although I have never trusted it, Dell sets the bar so high that practically anything is a pass. I use our shop chkdsk environment.

Why is there not a repair option at the install screen? Like I have said before, the software that has to be bought is UBER Expensive....Like close to 10 grand..that is why this working again is so important.

I am running out of time this thing should have been back to the company like 4 days ago. I just have never been beat and I really don't want to start now. Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Guru-By-Remote, 24 September 2016 - 07:46 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Okay, I understand now. I thought the repair shop and milling company was the same entity for some reason. 

If you have the imaged drive to work on there is AutoRuns that can check an offline system.  Possibly looking at what is listed under the tabs will give a clue on what is causing the black screen. Not sure if you checked the winlogon registry key but make sure the key has a value of explorer.exe  This should be userinit.exe, sorry. Shell would be explorer.exe

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson6/all/

There was the infamous Vista black screen problem that was the result of corrupt event logs. Deleting the log files brought the system back. But, this was a black screen with cursor vs your black screen only. Maybe worth a look.

http://www.nuonsoft.com/blog/2009/05/02/possible-ksod-black-screen-of-death-solution-for-windows-vista/comment-page-2/

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#6 Guru-By-Remote

Guru-By-Remote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

the imaged drive doesnt work ..It is obviously the same as the original. New train of thought...

Do you think I could install windows on another drive..get into the registry on that drive..copy the registry files dealing with that software to that drive

then  copy program files and local and roaming to make the software work ..while i am at it. I could go into the windows system 32  and copy all the drivers over would that work??? I am getting more desperate by the minute.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

I think this would be a long shot as you probably have registry entries scattered over multiple keys and hives. If the software has any kind of DRM that would add to the complexity of finding all the keys. I take it the customer does not have install media for this software. The company that sells it is no longer in business?

The imaged drive does not have to boot when using AutoRuns. You can connect the imaged drive via a USB adapter,enclosure, or internally on another computer and load the registry offline according to the link I posted. Look at all the AutoRun entries including Winlogon. Pay special attention to any third party services or drivers such as any antivirus other than the expensive software. Disabling third party drivers and services  may get the imaged drive to boot once you attach it to the customers computer. You can disable any item by unchecking the box next to the entry. That's the only idea I can come up with. 

See Analyze an Offline System (As in Hooking Up a Hard Drive to Another PC) in the link I posted using Autoruns.

#8 Guru-By-Remote

Guru-By-Remote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

I am trying this as we speak thanks so much ... I will if you want keep you informed. And yes they were out of business 9 years ago.... this repair keeps getting more expensive!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Yes, any feedback on Autoruns solving the problem would be appreciated.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

What happens when you boot Windows into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"?
When you boot into Windows what happens when you press CTRL + Shift + Esc keys?
Follow my tutorial to Repair Windows Explorer not Starting During Login into Windows O/S.

Within Hiren's Mini Windows XP open the C: partition and double click "System Volume Information" folder this folder contains all created system restore points, found the newest system restore created backups of the registry hives and replace the registry hives store at C:\Windows\System32\Config folder with system restore point created registry hive backups.

Posted Image

#11 Guru-By-Remote

Guru-By-Remote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

JUst a follow up .... We finally gave up and wiped and reinstalled windows XP.
Tthe company then bought new software and they are poorer now  and I have a over 30 year perfect streak wiped from the board. I appreciate all the comments. I wish we could have figured this one out.

Edited by Guru-By-Remote, 08 October 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the company now knows the importance of backup images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users