Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer power cycles seemingly randomly (Windows event 41)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dattilwa

dattilwa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

My Issue:

I built a gaming PC in 13 months ago. Starting last month, my computer started "power cycling" at seemingly random times. I have taken several troubleshooting steps (outlined below), some of which have alleviated my issue for a while, but it is still plaguing me today. All I can say about these power cycles is that they occur most frequently when doing something intense, like playing a game. Overwatch is my main game, but I've gotten it to power cycle on other games. I've seen it happen when I try to shut down my computer via the Windows UI a few times as well. After you get one power cycle, the next one seems to come pretty soon. Besides that, I can't really put my finger on what I'm currently doing that would make it occur. I believe it has to do with some internal hardware at this point, as I think I have eliminated both software and external hardware as possible causes.

Windows error, same every time:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>4</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-09-23T00:38:13.010077600Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1606</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>BILLS-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
</System>
<EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data> 
  <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data> 
</EventData>
</Event>

My Specs:
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
RAM: 2x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G1
Storage: 1x 120 GB Kingston SSD, 1x 1 TB WD Caviar Blue HDD

No overclocking

Troubleshooting done so far.
(Take this with a grain of salt, I have had some inconsistencies in my repeated testing, but I could be getting lucky.)
Diagnostic Testing:

• Memtest86+. No errors
  • Furmark. Only ran it once, but it was fine. I bet if I ran it again I could get a restart.
  • Prime95. Ran for ~4hrs no issues.

OS, Drivers & Software:

• Made sure Automatic restart on BSOD is OFF. I get no BSOD nor dumps when this occurs.
  • Updated Windows and all drivers to latest. I thought a windows update was to blame but uninstalling it didn't help.
  • Tried a system restore with what I thought was a stable restore point, but that could be wrong.
  • Reset my Windows install, cleared my harddrives, and tried again from scratch

Power:

• Changed outlet PC power strip was plugged into. No effect
  • Reset circuit breaker to room PC was in. No effect
  • Bought a UPS to replace power strip. No effect
  • RMA'd my PSU, as I thought that was the issue. Replaced itThis alleviated my issue for 3-4 weeks.

Memory:

• It seems to occur less frequently if I only use one of my two 8GB sticks of ram, but doesn't matter which stick or which slot that stick is in.

Motherboard & BIOS:

• Tested outside the case with minimal peripherals.
  • Updated BIOS to newest version and prayed that I didn't restart in the middle. Update was successful, but didn't fix issue.
  • Opened a support ticked with msi, they told me to clear my CMOS. Did so, alleviated my issue for about 48 hours.
  • Note that I've never had an unexpected restart while I was in my BIOS

Temperature Control

• I've never had temperature issues, except maybe with my GPU, which can run at ~85 celsius after extended gaming sessions.
  • Thorough cleaning of case and fans

Things I haven't yet tried, but don't know if it's worth it.

• Test each power cord to/from my PSU
  • Reseat processor & heatsink

Anybody familiar with this issue? Is there something I'm overlooking? Your help would be very much appreciated as I use this computer to work at home a few days a week and this is preventing me from doing so. Let me know if you need any more info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users