Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor DIV input not working, but VGA does work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

[I posed this to another forum, received no answers, so am posting here.]

Laptop system:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Laptop:  ASUS K52F
Intel Graphics
Monitor:  ViewSonic VX2250 with 1080p display
ViewSonic inputs from monitor data sheet:
    1×15 pin mini D-sub
    1×DVI-D(Supported HDMI ver.1.3 spec/Display port 11spec with suitable adaptor)

I purchased monitor & laptop 6 years ago.  Been using laptop VGA output to monitor VGA input.  Realizing that a new laptop will have HDMI out but no VGA out, I wanted to ensure that the monitor will work with HDMI if/when I buy a new laptop.  I connected laptop to monitor as follows:

VX2250 Monitor DVI input --to-- DVI cable that came with monitor --to-- DVI-to-HDMI adapter --to-- Laptop HDMI output

(A) The DVI-to-HDMI adapter contained all pins on both the DVI and HDMI sides so that no signals should be missing.  Purchased from walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-DVI-Female-to-HDMI-Male-F-M-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Adapter-Converter-For-HDTV-LCD-TV/39438771
( B) The DVI cable that came with the monitor has 18 pins.  Perhaps not compatible with HDMI?

This above configuration did not work.  When I plugged the DVI-to-HDMI adapter into the laptop, the laptop screen went blank as though the laptop was trying to display to the monitor. But nothing showed up on the monitor screen.  Since the laptop screen went blank, I am assuming that the laptop is outputting a HDMI signal.  

I tried the following:
(1) Update drivers for ViewSonic monitor & Intel graphics (both needed new drivers) - no change
(2) Turn off everything. Plug DVI cable into monitor & into laptop HDMI port. Turn on monitor.  Turn on laptop - no change.  Nothing shows on either screen.
(3) The monitor menu has a selection for input: D-Sub or DVI. I switched input to DVI when the monitor is on while using the VGA cable. Monitor screen goes blank, then comes back on after a few seconds still usign the VGA input.
    (3-A) Note that in the event someone suggests plugging the VGA and HDMI calbe into the laptop at the same time:  there is no room to plug both at same time.
(4) Switch monitor input to DVI, then quickly unplug VGA cable from laptop & plug in HDMI - did not work.  Both screens remain blank.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

The DVI cable that came with the monitor should be fine unless ViewSonic screwed up. That monitor only has a DVI-D port from what I can tell, so the DVI cable should be a DVI-D cable, which should work with HDMI I would think. I suppose maybe the computer is putting out a newer HDMI spec signal and ViewSonic included a cheap DVI-D cable that is only compatible with an older HDMI spec.

I would say it either has to be the DVI cable or the adapter you got.

You might try a HDMI to DVI cable such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UL8U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475040244&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi%2Bto%2Bdvi%2Bcable&th=1

Or one you can find at Walmart (since that is where you got the adapter before).

Another thought is maybe there is an issue with the HDMI port on the computer. Do you have a HDTV with an HDMI port on it that you can try the computer with using just regular HDMI cable?

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

The many different levels within the DVI interface is confusing at first but the first step is to identify what flavor you have.  As with HDMI, thaeres a lot of handshaking that has to happen before a proper display can happen.  Adapters often neglect some protocols, especially of they happen to be a particular manufacturers protocol and can't support it without some copyright agreements are made and monies paid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users