Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

I have an ASUS K501L, but because of a manufacturing defect, it was replaced by newegg with a K501U.

The K501U dropped a good meter yesterday, I'm not entirely sure where, but the click-in plastic frame around the screen came loose and had to be pushed back in, the screen was slightly warped, and the power button fails to function at all. Speakers may be broken too...

It charges properly, but ever since I turned it off, the power button just seems to be disconnected entirely.

The Asus website is pretty unclear as to how to get this fixed.

Is this kind of stuff covered by warranty? And if not, any suggestions?

I was thinking of of opening it up myself and trying to examine it, but last time I did with the K501L I'm not sure if I did it right.

I opened it up for dust cleaning, however right after I was done, the laptop fan seemed to run up very frequently and unnecessarily.

I think it was only a temporary problem. But is this possible at all? I'm essentially concerned that since it appears that I messed up the laptop a bit by opening it up, I'm concerned I could do the same thing to the one with the broken power button.

I am not entirely sure if it's just placebo, causing me to feel that the fan was running up, though.

Edited by JimmyKarter, 22 September 2016 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

Since dropping the laptop a good three feet; there probably isn't any valid warranty to cover your rig.

Take it apart (carefully) and check for loose cable-ribbons.

If one doesn't feel up to the task... bu all means let someone else fiddle 'round with it.

#3 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, I solved the problem. Just opened it up and I reconnected a loose ribbon.

Edited by JimmyKarter, 23 September 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users