Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS Windows 10 Computer so slow it's unusable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iJoeofCG

iJoeofCG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

I have one office PC and one office Laptop.  Both were upgraded to Windows 10.  The slowing of the computers were not immediate but over the past 3 months the have gotten bogged down with windows services.  My CPU is always running +50%, my memory ranges from 60-80% and it takes forever to load web browsers and any programs - especially on the laptop.  I've run MSservice diagnostics, downloaded Malwarebytes, have Norton360, ran a few external scans all to no avail.  I'm not the worst with computers but apparently not the best - I can't figure this one out.  I'm to the point where I'm wondering if my computers are just not capable of running Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

What are the specs of your machine? The Windows 10 requirements from Microsoft are:

Processor:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM:

New device: 2 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 64-bit

Update: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space:
16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card:
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display:
800x600

#3 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Please boot into safe mode.

Please press CTRL + ALT + DEL. You should see a menu with these options:

Lock

Switch User

Sign Out

Task Manager

Cancel

If you see this screen, please look at the bottom right hand corner. There should be a button that looks like a power button. Click on that.

You then should see these options:

Sleep

Shutdown

Restart

Please click restart while holding down the shift key. Do not let go until you see a screen with 3 options:

Continue

Troubleshoot

Turn off your PC

Please click Troubleshoot, then click on Advanced Options. Then, click Startup Settings. After that, pleaee click Restart.

Your PC will now reboot. Once it reboots, you should see a screen that says Startup Settings.

Please press 5 on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Then, log in to your system normally.

Does the problem still persist in Safe Mode?

#4 iJoeofCG

iJoeofCG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

I was able to do these things on my one laptop today.  All my settings are about double the minimum requirements listed above (4GB RAM, 1.7 GHZ, etc.).

I booted to safe mode.  It is slightly faster, yet it is not smooth.  I open a program and everything grinds to a halt.  It took about 3 minutes for FireFox to stop hesitating.  Norton was bouncing from top to bottom of theCPU list for a little while, but as Norton disappeared, all the other Windows programs would eat up the CPU.  I am consistently running 30%-50% CPU with only Firefox loaded and I literally sat here not working on the PC.  Firefox accounted for 0% CPU.  The items eating up CPU/Memory are the Windows shell experience host and about 10 "Host Processes".  My new PC has none of these even remotely on the list.

I ran Malwarebytes and other virus scans and all programs found NOTHING....nothing.  Not one item to fix.

#5 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

In Safe mode, please do the following things in the order that they are listed:

These instructions for Rkill are from Broni, a BC Advisor

p22002970.gif Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.

When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.
Post it in your next reply.

NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

NOTE Do NOT wrap your logs in "quote" or "code" brackets.
Do NOT use spoilers.

These instructions for Security Check are from Broni, A BC Advisor

p22002970.gif Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.
NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run

These instructions for Malwarebytes are from Broni, a BC Advisor

p22002970.gif Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to your desktop.
NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down.

• Double-click mb3-setup-1878.1878-3.5.1.2522.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
    • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    • A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
  • Click Finish.
  • On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
  • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
  • Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
  • If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
  • In most cases, a restart will be required.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:

• On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
  • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
  • Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
  • If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
  • In most cases, a restart will be required.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

How to get logs:
(Export log to save as txt)

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
  • Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click 'Export'.
  • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
  • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
  • In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click Ok
  • Attach that saved log to your next reply.

Run msinfo32

To do this press the Windows key and the letter R at the same time. This should open a Run box. Then, please type msinfo32 in the box and press ENTER.

Then, you should see a window named "System Configuration".

At the top of the window you will see these options:

- File

- Edit

- View

- Help

Please click on File, and then click on Export.

Then, please save the file as system.txt. Attach that to your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users