Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped network drive drops / Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bjsbas

bjsbas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and also some new windows 10 computers.  Networked drives that reside on Windows server 2012 intermittently disconnect.  When I attempt to reconnect by double clicking drive, i receive error indicating "The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."  

Can anyone help with is problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

What version of server 2012 do you have and how many client licenses do you have?  How many pcs connecting to the server?

#3 bjsbas

bjsbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Server 2012 Standard, 15 Client Access licenses, 10 computer of which never more than 8 are on at the same time.  Note: that even-though we have 15 licenses I don't believe there is a places to indicate that in Server 2012. 

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

See post number 24 in this thread on Spiceworks.com. This has actually been an issue since Windows 8, it deals with how windows applies group policy objects in the backround after the user has logged on. I have also see an issue where the drive is mapped locally using "reconnect at Sign on" causing an issue. You can also removed the mapped drive policy and change to desktop shortcuts that link directly to the server IE \\servername\department name\department folder\.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

Might want to look at the servers event viewer logs for connection/licensing errors to see if there are other clues to isolate the issue.

#6 bjsbas

bjsbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

After readingthe  Spiceworks thread I checked the group policy on the Server and it does not have the preferences path under User Configuration and I don't see a entry for drive under windows settings. My screen shot is attached. Am I in the right place?

Attached File  screenCopy.bmp   2.14MB   3 downloads

#7 bjsbas

bjsbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Also, in the event log there is an error that may have relevance: 

"A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 10. The Windows SChannel error state is 1203."

I'm trying to research it now.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

How are the drives being mapped then? Is the a script in the user profile in active directory?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 bjsbas

bjsbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

There is no script.  The drives were mapped from the workstation using windows explorer "map network drive" and set to reconnect at logon.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

Turn off tbe Reconnect at logon.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 October 2016 - 12:47 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users