Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot to bios or recovery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Walt99

Walt99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

I hope I am in the right forum for my problem. I have searched the forum and have not been able to find this problem. I have a senior friend's laptop which he forgot his password. It is a HP Pavilion g7-1033cl. Came with windows 7 but he upgraded it to windows 10 under Microsoft's free upgrade. He asked me to help recover his password or change it. To start with I could get into the computer by pressing on the ESCAPE when it showed on the startup screen. For some reason, this escape notice quit showing up when it boots. Therefore I cannot get into the computer. The computer still boots to the windows start screen but without a known password I cannot get into it. He did not make a password recovery or windows repair disc.  I have tried using the F keys to get into the computer but that doesn't work either. I have gotten Windows Password Key Standard program but have not been able to use it since I cannot get into the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated since he is on a limited income and cannot pay to have it fixed.  walt99

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Startup Programs Database to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

Maybe this article can help you How to Reset Your Forgotten Password in Windows 10

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Walt99

Walt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Thank you but have already been to that site and like I stated, I have tried using all the suggested ways to get into the computer. The F key functions still do not get me in. Just boots to start menu. Thank you for your response.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Is this a Windows login password of a password that needs to be entered before Windows boots. Do you get any kind of screen menu when tapping Esc at boot?

#5 TCruz

TCruz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

There are several live rescue utilities to set a new password for windows user account logins with which you can remove the old password. If you have access to another computer, download and burn a live dvd of Trinity Rescue Kit and boot the one you are having problems with from the live dvd. I doubt that he had secure boot setup originally on Windows 7 but if he did the problem is more difficult depending on the firmware. If you are attempting to use F keys and quick boot is enabled you must select the key at the right time to get a boot menu. Make sure you are using the correctly assigned boot menu key from HP, probably F10, and just keep tapping it rapidly as soon as you start the computer which sounds like it is in quick boot mode. Also with laptops it's best to take the battery out and run from AC adapter only, so you can pull the plug if need be for shut down. Also make sure that the F keys are called. Some Laps you need to hold shift down. Again if this secure boot with UEFI it's a more difficult problem depending on the hardware and firmware.

TC   

#6 Walt99

Walt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

I finally have been able to boot to the bios menu and change to boot from CD and F10 to save and exit. But when I boot, it does not boot to the cd. It boots to regular startup. I downloaded Trinity Rescue Kit checked the disc on another computer, it is good. I used this disc to try to boot and it goes to regular startup. I also tried the Windows Password Key disc I have and still boots to regular startup.  I am at a lost as to why it will not boot to cd disc. I still cannot reach bios every time I try. Sometimes it shows push ESCAPE to reach bios and sometimes it never shows up. I have tried other combinations of F keys and only can get F2 to work. This brings me to the HP Advanced System program. This program does not allow you to access bios for changes.

Walt99

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Make sure SecureBoot is disabled in UEFI it there is such a setting. Also any setting that is labeled Quickboot or Fastboot should be disabled. Tapping F9 at boot should give you the option to boot your CD/DVD in legacy mode but from your post you said you have tried all F keys.

You may have better luck using the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB key instead of a CD. 

This works on Windows 7 and should work on 10. Instead of trying to reset the password edit the registry offline using a System Repair Disk or a Windows 10 install disk and it's registry editor to enable the Administrator account and then login to that to change the password of the local account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

Instead of using the %windir% browse to the SAM hive in C:\Windows\system32\config  It may not be C: it could also be D:

#8 Walt99

Walt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

Thank you, I am still having trouble getting into bios. Once I get in I will check the UEFI setting. I found an article which says the laptop does have Secure Boot. If the ESCAPE key notice does show up (it does not always show up) it takes me to HP recovery manager. This site is no help.  Walt99

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Powercycle the computer and see if that helps with the Esc key. Pull the main battery, unplug the power, and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach power and replace the battery. Reboot and tap Esc. 

Have you tried booting with a Windows 10 install disk or USB key. You can create one using the Media Creation Tool.

You can also pull any data from the drive using a USB adapter or by boot a live linux distro using a DVD or USB flash drive if you can get it to boot. I would recommend the flash drive method of using Rufus to make it bootable.

#10 Walt99

Walt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thank you JohnC_21, I followed your instructions for getting into the bios and it worked. I finally got the boot sequence changed and booted from the Windows Password Key disc. 

Deleted the passwords and now it boots into windows 10 as it is supposed to. Thanks a lot for your help. I guess we can call this one finished.  Walt99

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

Your Welcome, glad you finally sorted out the problem and thanks for posting an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users